Pink Floyd: "Oh By The Way"
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
A boxed set of all PF's studio albums (including,for these purposes, Ummagumma) is coming in December, mainly as a marketing exercise. I'm assuming that these are all the existing remasters, and it so happens that I don't own most of those recordings. That said, I'd like some guidance from the people around here who know as to SQ etc.

To put the purchasing decision in context: I don't own More, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Piper (gulp!) or Animals (gulp again!) at all. Momentary Lapse of Reason I only ever owned on cassette (now long gone) ... but then, a lot of these albums I could happily live without ever hearing again unless the remasters are very good.

Product description if you haven't seen it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A boxed set of all PF's studio albums (including,for these purposes, Ummagumma) is coming in December, mainly as a marketing exercise. I'm assuming that these are all the existing remasters, and it so happens that I don't own most of those recordings. That said, I'd like some guidance from the people around here who know as to SQ etc.

To put the purchasing decision in context: I don't own More, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Piper (gulp!) or Animals (gulp again!) at all. Momentary Lapse of Reason I only ever owned on cassette (now long gone) ... but then, a lot of these albums I could happily live without ever hearing again unless the remasters are very good.

Product description if you haven't seen it.

You dont own Animals?
blink.gif

Shame on you.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Can't really comment except that it's a hell of a lot of money, isn't it? I mean, that's more than $300 for the set!

If I can put it into perspective, you can get all seven of CCR's studio albums for $250... but on SACD or vinyl and remastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray!

I would hope it has (at the least) a limited press run and a worthwhile book to go with it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You dont own Animals?
blink.gif

Shame on you.

I had it on cassette back in the eighties: it's not one of my favourites, although I'd like to have it on CD ... just to check.

As to the price of the set, it can be bought via the US for $189, so it's actually not bad value. The question, though, is whether this is the definitive sound quality ... remasters in general have such a poor reputation for being hot that I'm wondering whether my original release The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Final Cut etc. are actually better than what I would be shelling out for.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Nov 1, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the links, Camper. It's the SACD DSotM that I've got (my player is on its last legs and I don't think I'll replace it, although I'll be sorry not to be able to play my surround sound remix of Tommy any more). Tbh, though, good sq on DSotM is about the last thing that I'm bothered about, because it's not an album that I listen to. I suspect that the muted response to this thread says it all: the boxed set is of no particular benefit on the sq side, so I'll only buy it if I want to pick up the other CDs and have everything, in pretty covers, in one place.

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Without a doubt, the Japanese Harvest Black Face version is the best. I listened to the Black Triangle, Black Face, MFSL and "normal" CD, and by far the Jpnse Harvest one is beyond smooth, and the most organic and natural sounding.

I think I did hear that the Black Triangle is related to the MFSL somehow, but I may have been sleepy when I read about them ad merged them together in my head.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back