Pinging Garbz ...
Mar 29, 2007 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jiiteepee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,
remember this thread ? - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...9&postcount=16

hmm... you did never came back ...

Well, I'm after same matter again ... (maybe you've noticed my posting on another forum here) since, I have now prepared HighQuality RIAA filter plugin and I would like to hear some valuable valuation/feedback from serious vinylists (I've posted on couple forums but not much feedback yet). I have a feeling you are one of those ... and sure, anyone who's interested on this matter can join (there were jcx who partly questioned this software RIAA method) ...

My suggestions:
- I prepare you a HQ plugin as VST, lets say 48kHz (RIAA curve error: 0.0037544dB/phase error: ±16° @ 0Hz-20kHz) and send it to you w/ instructions how to use it (this is not the best quality I have for 48kHz but it's better (least the curve error) than what you have got for El-Cheapo you mentioned/linked in that old thread)
or
- you record a short (30s-...) music sample from your favorite LP/single using 24-bit or 32-bit resolution (WAV -format, 88.2kHz or 96kHz would be best) w/o RIAA stage added in your recording path and email the sample file to me (or PM a link to DL it) ... I run it through RIAA Filter and then send it back to you so you can then compare the results (this would give better quality results from software filter because of the higher samplerate versions have better "specs" (96kHz: curve error: 0.0000046dB/Phase error: ~±1.6° @ 0Hz-20kHz)

~30s @24/96 produces a wav file 'bout 18MB ... packed using WINRAR shrinks it to ~9MB).

Ofcourse the soundcard you use should be decent for sake of a fair comparison.

I hope, I'm not asking too much from hardware DIYer(s).

jiitee

P.S.
As I'm not aware of if Copyrights becomes in question in this short sample recording matter ... so, as I have ~1000 records here I suppose we must have couple of same recordings ... maybe it's not against (C) then if you prepare a sample of a recording I already have.

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 7
What's the deal with people starting threads aimed at a single person? Why not just resurrect that old thread? Bah humbug.
mad.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Pong!

ezkcdude resurecting an old thread is worse. A PM would have been better. Ok I like the idea. PM me in 2 weeks about it since I'm about to move into exams and don't have the time to bypass my RIAA stage at this point. My DAC would be used to provide a fair comparison. So far I have heard a DAC under $2000 that beats it. But I would be interested in the compairson anyway.

There is one logic problem with your idea though. Remember I stated the RIAA error in the thread. The error in my phono stage, while it can only be described as enormous compared to yours, the variance in the el-cheapo stage is already orders of magnitude lower than the variance in the needle. So as far as re-producing the original vinyl I don't think this is the place to start. I should also mention that I have since tweaked intentionally my RIAA stage to EQ some discrepencies in the tonearm.

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 7
OK.

I think it would be easiest for you (and better for me) if you could record a sample when you have time for that. Why this way, ... then you don't need to bother you w/ those software/settings needed for to get everything to work properly (even it's a VST plugin in question, there are some possible 'error' sources you need to get rounded). For me... I could compare against my vinyl system (I have an old (really old
wink.gif
) Technics SL-Q2 (DirectDrive)/BORON Cardridge EPC 205CMK3 (range 5Hz-80kHz, error ±0dB @ 40Hz-20kHz by the Technics lab mesurements (I have another equal cardridge which have +0.3dB @ 18-20kHz)) packet here (though it's still working extremely well (least what I've measured). The flat-preamp I'm using is just matched to the cardridge specs ... impedance 47kΩ and capacitance <200pF) ... otherwise I have not bothered to measure it
).

Hmm... yes, I understand that those filters I've made are 'out of some certain limits' goming from hardware parts. W/ these software filters all improvement comes from used bitdepth and samplerate (= AD/DA Conversion accuracy/dynamic range) and of cource from ADC/DAC quality.

What is in my mind is just the comparison between hardware and software RIAA in practice ... over the last couple of years, I've read so many "IMO statements" from people who even never tried software RIAA in practice. I don't get it since I have been happy for the results (even when used a certain EQ which was not very accurate method) especially now with these filters I've made. So, IMO, re-producing original vinyl is the only place to start from (though, I have those production filters too so I could prepare a RIAA EQed audio from any source (original master tapes/CD/DVD) and feed it through hardware RIAA stage and then compare results against the original source and the one re-produced w/ the RIAA filter but, wouldn't this be just testing the filter quality instead of usability for to replace the hardware RIAA stage).

jiitee

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I think the thing most people would be against is the conversion from analogue to digital. If that were a non-issue people would just buy the CD. Anyway like I said PM me the week after easter (this thread will most likely no longer be alive, and I will most likely forget
frown.gif
) and we'll get this thing going.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the thing most people would be against is the conversion from analogue to digital. If that were a non-issue people would just buy the CD.

I think those would be suprised a bit then ...
wink.gif

(16/44.1 vs 24/96 = numbers meaning something they don't know yet)

jiitee

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 7
It's not numbers they are afraid of. It's digital pure and simple. I like my CDplayer better anyway. The TT just serves for those things I can't get on CD, and those albums which truly were mastered better on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back