Pimeta's Hot Buffers
Apr 22, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 29
Check your grounds; shorten the OPAG, it's easy with the sockets, the offset should go away. I'm having that same setup (8620/10, 2-1-2 BUF634P) and it's ... excellent.

Opamps might be osciallating, but it seems unprobable - 8620/10 are very stable, you have STEPS, and you measure low quiescent
confused.gif

If you want to know what is a really hot chip, try AD843...first couple of hours it smells

Enjoy

580smile.gif

May 12, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
...And the chips are just short of burning my fingers. I don't know.

Realizing this is several weeks old and you've probably already answered your question by now...

Since you're expecting about 10ma through each buffer it sounds like you're using R11. I've built several PIMETAs, and when I stack them in wide bandwidth mode, they definitely get hot. I went through all the steps you did, and everything looked fine. I finally came to this understanding... your top buffer is trying to dissipate its heat while still acting as a heatsink for the one below it. If you compare this to the 13ma the AD843 draws, which is universally understood to be a hot chip, this all makes sense. In my setup, I've compared the heat on an 843 to the stacked 634s, and the 634s were nearly as warm.

According to the datasheet for the 634Ps they can take up to 125C so if you're "just short of" burning yourself, you're probably OK.

That said, I got paranoid enough to fix some heatsinks on mine. They run fairly cool now and I've put hundreds of hours on my amp with no problems.

Good luck!

May 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 29
Thanks Xerophase! I actually have not fixed this problem yet, but what you say makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I also have this weird intermittent offset problem.

I think my Pimeta is haunted.
confused.gif

May 12, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Thanks Xerophase! I actually have not fixed this problem yet, but what you say makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I also have this weird intermittent offset problem.

I think my Pimeta is haunted.
confused.gif

Have you built an alter to The God of Good Builds?

Do you sacrafice an occasional virgin at that alter?

Now do you inderstand your problem?

evil_smiley.gif

If that doesn't work, try reflowing all the joints in the affected channel (intermittant offset). That exorcizes a lot of demons and will work in a pinch if you can't scrounge up a virgin.

May 12, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Unfortunately, I also have this weird intermittent offset problem.

I'm not sure how much offset you're getting with the AD86xx, but if it's REALLY high maybe the chips are bad? If you have any others you might try throwing them in.

Also, have you measured the voltage your power supply is putting out to verify it's running at 24V? I have no idea what affect too much voltage would have on offset, but at 24V you're pretty close to the 86xx max...

May 12, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 29
You have wierd DC offset but no coupling caps on the signal input. Have you confirmed that the source has no offset? Have you tried another source? You might also temporarily add caps in series on the input to the amp to see what happens.

May 12, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
You have wierd DC offset but no coupling caps on the signal input. Have you confirmed that the source has no offset? Have you tried another source? You might also temporarily add caps in series on the input to the amp to see what happens.

The Monkey and I looked at his amp at the National Meet and he does in fact have the weirdest behaving amp I've come across (that I didn't build). The offset in both channels would vary from 0 to 50mV (or more) in a matter of seconds. It was somewhat cyclical in its behavior but for the life of me I couldn't come up with a good reason for it.

May 12, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
The Monkey and I looked at his amp at the National Meet and he does in fact have the weirdest behaving amp I've come across (that I didn't build). The offset in both channels would vary from 0 to 50mV (or more) in a matter of seconds. It was somewhat cyclical in its behavior but for the life of me I couldn't come up with a good reason for it.

See guys? Haunted!
evil_smiley.gif

I'm going to open it up this weekend (work permitting
rolleyes.gif
) and check everything very carefully. As we all know too well, there likely is something small and stupid that I just haven't noticed.

May 12, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

See guys? Haunted!
evil_smiley.gif

I'm still hung up on the chip thing... one works fine, the other has crazy problems. If they're not bad, maybe you could post some pictures of your 86xx's mounted to the adapters? They're sometimes easy to get on backwards. I've had some that didn't even have pin 1 marked...

May 13, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 29
thoughts:

first try reflowing the solder joints ..

second check the temperatures of the various resistors (none should be hot to touch)

third check that you have the right resistor values throughout

fourth try replacing C1 on both the left and right channels

May 13, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
thoughts:

first try reflowing the solder joints ..

second check the temperatures of the various resistors (none should be hot to touch)

third check that you have the right resistor values throughour

fourth try replacing C1 on both the left and right channels

I've checked most of the joints and they're ok (I reflowed a couple during the build), but can't hurt to check again. The resistors are not getting hot. And I'd really like to avoid C1, but maybe I'll just put it in temporarily. Right now, main suspicion is that I did something weird with hooking up my Tread and switched jack. And, of course, the chips.

May 13, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

I've checked most of the joints and they're ok (I reflowed a couple during the build), but can't hurt to check again. The resistors are not getting hot. And I'd really like to avoid C1, but maybe I'll just put it in temporarily. Right now, main suspicion is that I did something weird with hooking up my Tread and switched jack. And, of course, the chips.

You could post pics of the tread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back