PIMETA vs META42 vs MINT????
Feb 11, 2004 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

electic

100+ Head-Fier
Hey i was just wondering what difference was between a Pimeta amp, a Meta42 amp, and a Mint amp that is of the Meta design
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 6
These are generalizations, but for the most part:

PPA>PIMETA>META42>CHA47>CMOY

The "mint" amps can be a CMOY, CHA47 or META42. The key is keeping the device portable (small with good battery life). Therefore, I think it's accurate to say that a META42 in a mint enclosure will generally perform less than a home META42 due to the constraints that the portable chassis requires (smaller designs and battery requirements mean sacrifices must be made in the layout and part choice). I have heard all the above amps and recently built myself a PPA. I also built a CMOY and CHA47 a while ago and prefer the sound of my PPA any day.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable speak about the physical and sonic differences amongst the amps listed.

Feb 11, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
These are generalizations...

Wanna generalize the difference between a CHA47 and a cmoy, just curious.

Feb 11, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

difference...between a Pimeta amp, a Meta42 amp, and a Mint amp

The META42 is a Jung multiloop amp with a standard virtual ground topology. It used Elantec EL2001 or EL2002 buffers. Elantec discontinued those buffers, so the META42 is no longer available.

The MINT is a similar circuit to the META42, but compromised a bit to fit into a much smaller space. It uses Burr-Brown's BUF634 buffer instead of the Elantec, which is why it's still available.

The PIMETA is almost the same size board as the META42, but it uses a differential-drive topology similar to that of the PPA. Although it uses the same buffer as the MINT, it sounds quite different due to the topology difference and the higher end features allowed by the bigger board. Since the PPA board has more features and uses different buffers, the PIMETA doesn't sound like the PPA, either.

Quote:

MINT = Meta42 Is Now Tiny

Right. There are many mint tin amps, but only one MINT.

Feb 11, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
MINT = Meta42 Is Now Tiny

Maybe in ten years we can read about a PINT amplifier small enough for a mint tin amp.

PINT = PPA Is Now Tiny

280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back