Pimeta vs Headsave Classic
Sep 3, 2004 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Darius94523

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for a new dedicated home amp and I've finally narrowed it down to these two. My cans are the HD600s. I'm looking at getting a pimeta built by MisterX or a Classic built by Norm, the pimeta will have opa637/627 vs the classic with an ad8620. I'd like to know the differences in sound quality, and other characteristics if anyone has heard both. The Classic will be substantially less than the pimeta.

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Sorry to hijack your thread but the thing I'm gonna ask might be of interest to you too, Darius. So I though I'll ask it here too.

How about the difference between a pimeta and classic with both of them having the OPA 637/627 op amps?

Or will neither of them be suitable for a MS-2?

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 19
The Classic and the Pimeta have been compared by owners of both in this thread:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=Classic

A similar Home-Vibe with AD8610's has been compared with a maxed-out Meta42 in this thread:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=pleased

A Classic with OPA627's (or stock OPA2227 for that matter) and a 24v PSU would suit the MS-2 beautifully. With the Burr Brown opamps, it pays (in terms of depth of sound, translucency, and coherency of soundstage) NOT to skimp on the input voltage (say, with a 12v PSU), IMO. I've never heard a Pimeta, so I can't compare.

IMO, it's worth the additional funds to get OPA627's for the Classic with phones as good as the MS-2. You'll hear where the money went. You'll hear additional detail across the entire acoustic spectrum which allows more of the texture of the sound to come through. Qualitatively, this enables more of the sound's "live" and three-dimensional aspects to come through better, IMO.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 19
Lisa,
As a matter of fact, i just asked Norm about this matter since I am thinking to get a pair of MS2 myself as well...
My classic is with 627s, and he reckons that MS2 and classic 627 are a great match.

EDIT : Sbulack and me must be posting at the same time... So yes, just like he said basically. I got my classic based from sbulack's recommendation. He's a cool guy and you can trust his words about the amp's sound characteristics.
icon10.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 19
This is a timely thread for me. Recent events are keeping me from affording the Emmeline XP-7 I wanted, so I am now looking a cheaper amps like the PIMETA and the Headsave Classic.

Lisa,

I noticed that you have the MS-1 in your signature. Have you got a MS-2 yet? Even unamped, it sounds great.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks guys. Now I'm leaning even more towards the Classic.

dj_mocok,
I figured as much about Norm saying your amp is good with the ms-2s. I have the MS-1s (and MS-2s soon) and Norm replaced the op amp in my MINT from AD8620 to OPA2227 and we exchanged a couple of e-mailes about the difference in sound. He said the OPA637 would be even better but can't be powered by batteries. Since Norm ears kind of agree with mine (at least headphone and opamp prefence) I trust his recommendations.

Gonna read those liks links sbulack gave now. See if there's anything said about the pimeta with OPA627/637.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Thanks guys. Now I'm leaning even more towards the Classic.

dj_mocok,
I figured as much about Norm saying your amp is good with the ms-2s. I have the MS-1s (and MS-2s soon) and Norm replaced the op amp in my MINT from AD8620 to OPA2227 and we exchanged a couple of e-mailes about the difference in sound. He said the OPA637 would be even better but can't be powered by batteries. Since Norm ears kind of agree with mine (at least headphone and opamp prefence) I trust his recommendations.

Gonna read those liks links sbulack gave now. See if there's anything said about the pimeta with OPA627/637.
smily_headphones1.gif

I sense that Norm is getting an order for headsave classic with 637op-amps soon....
icon10.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 19
I have two questions:

a) Is the Headsave Classic a modification of a known design or is this something entirely designed by Norm?

b) Also, in researching the PIMETA on Tangent's website, I came across a statement that says: "op-amps can be biased into class A". Can someone explain to a newbie what that means?

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
On order
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool. I think that you will really like it. And now that we have discussed the MS-2, Jahn's spider-sense should be tingling.

280smile.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 19
I don't think pimeta/classic isn't gonna be enough for the HD600s. I say get a mg-head otl tuberolled ($250) if you're on a budget, or a PPA if you got the cash.

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I don't think pimeta/classic isn't gonna be enough for the HD600s. I say get a mg-head otl tuberolled ($250) if you're on a budget, or a PPA if you got the cash.

Why do you say that? How much time have you spent listening to a Pimeta and to the Classic? Other people have given those amps positive reviews with HD580/600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back