Pimeta Tread: Balancing Light Output
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have an LED hanging off of the Pimeta, and a couple more hanging off of the Tread. To get them to have the same light output (and look the same), I'm going to need to fiddle with resistors. I was thinking of jumpering the RLED spot on the Pimeta, then working with the LED resistor further down the line. I do not have the FET installed.

Any detrimental effects of doing this? I checked the schematic and it appears to be okay.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Why are you going to need to fiddle with the resistors?
If the leds are all the same the resistor to each one would be the same because the voltage is the same.... follow?

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Why are you going to need to fiddle with the resistors?
If the leds are all the same the resistor to each one would be the same because the voltage is the same.... follow?

I *do* follow. But in this case the LEDs are on two different switches (leave it to me to make things complicated.) The front LED, even with the same power is just far brighter than the other ones, so I want to add a larger resistor to get them to look the same.

...which brings me back to my original question of: can I jumper the connection on the Pimeta board and put the resistor in line somewhere else?

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Can't you just pop the LEDs out of the switches and replace them?

It seems to me that would be the easiest solution.

Quote:

can I jumper the connection on the Pimeta board and put the resistor in line somewhere else?

What are you referring to as a jumper here?
(when you say jumper I think piece of wire instead of the component in question, which in this case would short out the psu)

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 13
Here's a lo-tech version

LEDwire.jpg

The RLED on the Pimeta board goes from the single RLED pad to the far end of the RFET pad if unused. I just want to put a single piece of wire there to connect the two pads which enable the LED to get power. From there I will run a pair of wires (one of which will contain the resistor) to the LED on the front of the case.

I am only jumpering the RLED connection.

I'm fairly sure this will be fine as I'm not shorting any connection, just moving the resistor off of the board so I don't have to drop one in and out of the holes on the board itself (it could take a few to get the right one).

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 13
I see I see said the bind fool to the man that pissed on his wodden leg and told him it was raining outside.
tongue.gif

Why not just socket the rled on the amp board?
That way you can plug and play new resistors at will.

And.
Of course your plan will work.
wink.gif

Edit: spelling

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Heh. You are a card, X. The only reason I don't just use the sockets that are already there is because I'd rather not solder the incorrect value in and out a few times on a nice board like that. Socketing is an even better idea, so thanks for the nice tip!
I'll admit it's a hairbrained idea, but that's just who I am.
icon10.gif

Thanks, guys!

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I'd rather not solder the incorrect value in and out a few times on a nice board like that.

That, and it is also a pain in the butt.
icon10.gif

If it makes it easier you can always install the resistor for the LED on the ground side.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 13
I just went through this exercise myself with a Millett/Steps. I used a breadboard to play with resistor values first to match brightness. I prefer to not put the resistor on the PCB, but attach it to the LED itself. Just make sure you don't overheat the LED leads when soldering (I use an alligator clip to sink the heat away).

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee
Just make sure you don't overheat the LED leads when soldering (I use an alligator clip to sink the heat away).

Yeah, I've already cooked a few. They really go to hell after that, don't they? I grab a handful of alligator clips as well and drop them on the leads first (well, except for that one time...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back