Pimeta opamp question
Nov 29, 2005 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rsabo

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody, I've been lurking for a while here. Thanks to you guys, I now own a (currently broken) cmoy and a chaintech av710. After many days and nights of googling, soul-searching, and burning out the jacks on my cmoy, I've decided that my next project (besides the robot army) is going to be a Pimeta. I ordered the necessary parts on Thanksgiving, and got my order from Digi-Key today. One problem: Digi-key was out of the OPA132, so I ordered the AD8610AR for signal ground.
Any opinions on how a pimeta sounds with an OPA2132PA as the L/R op amp and an AD8610AR as the ground amp? Tangent's site says "sonically interesting", which leaves me slightly confused - good interesting or bad interesting?

Thanks for helping a newbie out,
Ryan

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 10
Hmmm...why not getting OPA134 for OPAG instead?...DIP-8 is in stock, $2.25 each...?

From the top of my head I'll guess that's the closes one can get to OPA132...if that's what you'd like to complement 2132 with...

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 10
I really like the AD843/845 combo, but since you're set on the L/R channels just use the 843 on the Ground channel.. it's a solid opamp, free if you sample the JNZ version from Analog.com

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies. Had I known the 134 was in stock when I placed the order, I would probably have bought that instead. But has anybody heard this combination?

The 843 and the 845 are both single op-amps, correct? That is, you need one for each channel, so I would need to buy an adapter. Also, is there a difference between the JNZ and KNZ versions, other than the month-longer wait time for the JNZ?

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 10
You can try to get 134 (or 132) on the sales corner, just in case you have difficulties with 8610. 134 is the lower-quality version of 132, but it sounds very similar, and my guess is they'll come along with 2132 pretty well.

Just FYI, I found 2132 to be excellent for my (buffered) A47 design, and if the soundcard wasn't bit harsh in the highs (in Kernel Streaming at least) it still'll be in.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
Also, is there a difference between the JNZ and KNZ versions, other than the month-longer wait time for the JNZ?

I'm curious about this as well.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 10
I have no idea what JNZ / KNZ difference is but they should be interchangeable..

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
I really like the AD843/845 combo, but since you're set on the L/R channels just use the 843 on the Ground channel..

I'm confused, why 843 on the ground channel?

The 845 is unity-gain stable, works fine in the ground channel of my M3.

I have no 843's, I hear some people like them better than the 845, in which case you'd want the 843's in the left and right.

The OP says he's got an 8610 for his ground channel. It would make a lot of sense to use an 8620 for L/R.

Since the PIMETA wants a dual opamp in the L/R position, i wonder if you mean an AD823 for L/R, which would certainly work pretty well, and it would make some kind of sense to use an 843 or 845 in the ground channel.

fwiw, the KN version is one notch higher grade, which probably means less offset, but the offsets are already low with the JN version.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 10
It is is certainly not a terrible thing to put a different op-amp on the ground channel. It should be a part of similar quality, though, which the AD8610 most definitely is (in fact it is one notch above the OPAx13x).

I have mixed many different op-amps in this design and had great fun doing so. The results are interesting in the most positive sense of the word
smily_headphones1.gif

You have nothing to worry about.

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
Hey everybody, I've been lurking for a while here. Thanks to you guys, I now own a (currently broken) cmoy and a chaintech av710. After many days and nights of googling, soul-searching, and burning out the jacks on my cmoy, I've decided that my next project (besides the robot army) is going to be a Pimeta. I ordered the necessary parts on Thanksgiving, and got my order from Digi-Key today. One problem: Digi-key was out of the OPA132, so I ordered the AD8610AR for signal ground.
Any opinions on how a pimeta sounds with an OPA2132PA as the L/R op amp and an AD8610AR as the ground amp? Tangent's site says "sonically interesting", which leaves me slightly confused - good interesting or bad interesting?

Thanks for helping a newbie out,
Ryan

8610 in ground might get you a tiny bit more detail but overall it's not really extreme at anything, fairly transparent and further, being behind the buffer the difference is less, I'd call it a bit better than OPA132, "good interesting", though personally, I'd find swapping out the OPA2132 from L & R, too, to be even more "good interesting".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back