PIMETA; MAX; diyMods
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings,

How are you doing? Great, I'm fine. Thank you. How are your parents? Are you still in trouble with your lady friend? I'm so sorry to hear. Things will get better.

The main motivation for this blog is to proclaim the awesome sound of my PIMETA. It's my laptop-when-at-home rig, that way I don't have to drag my MAX all the way from my bed to my desk to listen to some higher quality music. I wonder about the sound of the MAX though, as I'm in love with the sound of the PIMETA. What's the setup, my grasshopper asks? Well, violin-serenading creature of dusk, I just popped in the AD8620 I purchased from souperman some time ago, and it's sitting in there with the AD8610 in the ground. I built discrete buffers a la Sijosae with 2N5087s and 2N5088s which are sitting in the left and right channels.

http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/bbs/da...iamond_634.gif

I jumpered the ground channel buffer. I have the parts to build the third one, but it's such a hassle matching those transistors. Another time. Right now, I love the taut bass I'm getting from my PIMETA. The MAX has been refurnished with Nichicon Muse ES and Russian PIO K42Y I grabbed from beezar (thanks, TomB), and though it presents plenty of bass, it isn't as punchy or defined as the PIMETA's. I'm housing it in the Hammond 1455J12 in which I used to have my RA-1 Clone, but since I came to despise that design (Solens took up so much space for so little effect on the sound), I dismantled it and took away its parts. The PIMETA's bass is both deep and controlled, imaging everything appropriately for that immersion effect. The amp contrasts the quiet and loud passages very well, something I've never considered before. Boy, did Tangent get things right with this opamp combo.

Sourcing my PIMETA is the diyMod 3G I recently obtained and modded. It's interesting how God works, as it's the same iPod 3G my friend had some years ago where I thought, "Wow, wouldn't it be nice to have that some day?" 2 years later, I get the exact one for which I was pining. I love the lack of traditional buttons, the red button backlight, the retro -- it's all so beautiful. Only God, eh? My friend texted me one day, "My iPod broke. I'll give it to you for $50." I've become somewhat the "iPod junkyard" for my friends thanks to Facebook and MSN. Turns out his hard drive failed, so I replaced the 15GB Toshiba with the 20GB hard drive from my dead iPod 4G. It was quite the squeeze getting it in, but somehow it did. Now I've got a sleeper iPod, diyModded and with upgraded hard drive. Oh yeah. On that topic, I just diyModded also another iPod video for another member. I'm not a MOT yet, so I can't charge him anything more than shipping and duties and what not. I'm waiting on another iPod, this time it comes with SR60s with it, which I am giving to older brother. I have this odd generosity/wastefulness when it comes to my builds. So far, I've bought him a set of ER4Ps, built him a Mini^3 and PIMETA, gave him a set of KSC75 and now SR60s, not to mention I got him UE super.fi 3 Studios some time ago, which he traded (through me, of course) for a Samsung YP-Z5. Then I gave my dad another Mini^3 after giving him the PIMETA that now belongs to my older brother. I love sharing my interests with others. Some of my friends think I'm a nerd for doing all this amp-building, but I don't care because I can share with them the sweet sounds of my rig. On Thursday, I'm slated to bring my gear to my pastor's house for small group night and share with everything the stuff I've been talking about for the past few months. I'm so excited.

Trying to further the diyMod tradition, I am trying to design a DAC/amp for the iPod, knowing full well that it already has a DAC in it. I'm hoping to use the Wolfson WM8740, one of the flagship DACs that is also used in the Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC. I've never designed anything like this before, so I'm hoping I learn loads from it. Right now, I'm deciding on which amp to incorporate into the design. It has to be some sort of SMD-capable design that makes using the awesome DAC worthwhile. I wonder if I can make some sort of SMD PIMETA. Muaha. Once I considered putting an amp right after the DAC, I thought of the PPAS. That thing is crazy small. It fits into an Altoids case with two 9Vs. I'll sort things out slowly and maybe surely, but this is neither the place nor the time. I can discuss that I want it to be a portable solution. I haven't done of the hard work of routing the wires from the chip to the dock, but I'm holding that off for as long as possible. This project is probably the biggest I've ever had. I was thinking of getting on the B22 ship, but it seems I need to focus a little more on fewer things, thus theoretically increasing my progress and success. All the while, I'll enjoy the stock DAC with my PIMETA.

Pees out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back