Pimeta Ground Buf634 Question
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gtp

1000+ Head-Fier
I just finished putting together my first Pimeta (9V portable, class A, 220 ohm bandwidth resistors, added 75 ohm R8s for my low-Z headphones).

Initial measurements revealed that something was definitely wrong. To make a long story short, one of the three Buf634s that I got on Ebay was blown, out of the box. The other two seem to work fine.

Since I only have two working buffers, I jumpered pin 3 to 6 on the ground channel and it sounds fine. DC offsets are 0.3 and 0.6 mV. My question is whether it is OK to use the amp in this configuration until I find another Buf634?

Thanks,
George

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, since you're jumpering the buffer In to Out pins, it simply bypasses it and the gnd opamp is then handing the currents.

The gnd opamps that people typically use on Pimetas w/BUF634 arent' capable of enough current to satisfy many uses though, it would not be surprising to find high distortion if the volume is turned up much. You can run it like that until you get another buffer though it may impact sound quality.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Yes, since you're jumpering the buffer In to Out pins, it simply bypasses it and the gnd opamp is then handing the currents.

The gnd opamps that people typically use on Pimetas w/BUF634 arent' capable of enough current to satisfy many uses though, it would not be surprising to find high distortion if the volume is turned up much. You can run it like that until you get another buffer though it may impact sound quality.

GREAT! Thank you for the response, Mono. I am using an 8610 for the ground channel, with BufG pins 3-6 jumpered until I can find a single Buf634.

THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back