PIMETA buffers - how many?
Apr 13, 2004 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

newmanoc

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering having a PIMETA built for me and want to get input on the amount of buffers to use. Headsave's Ultra II comes with 6 buffers, but Norm offers to add more at a cost of $5 each. At what point (8, 10, 12?) do you reach the point of diminishing returns with this amp design? I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum. If so, just slap me silly and I repost it under amplifiers generally. All input (even slaps) appreciated.

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 6
6 buffers = 2 buffers in each position

I don't think you'd hear much difference by doubling that number, I was leave it at the 6 you're being offered. An extra one on each of the signal channels may offer a small improvement, but after that you've hit the end of the PIMETA design in terms of buffer improvements being worthwhile

g

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
6 buffers = 2 buffers in each position

I don't think you'd hear much difference by doubling that number, I was leave it at the 6 you're being offered. An extra one on each of the signal channels may offer a small improvement, but after that you've hit the end of the PIMETA design in terms of buffer improvements being worthwhile

g

I am blushing in my ignorance - I was thinking two channels, multiples of two, etc. Thanks for setting me straight and for the advice.

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 6
no worries, we've all been there
smily_headphones1.gif

check out this link if you're interested in finding out more about this design. Hope you like your new amp when you get it

g

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
2 buffers per channel is a very sane configuration. There's no question it sounds better than a single buffer per channel, and the cost in terms of both parts and power draw is not extravagant.

I'm not wild about stacking buffers on the ground channel in the PIMETA. The practical benefits just aren't there, like they are in the PPA. Therefore, I think 5 buffers makes more sense than 6.

The next step I'd take would be to double the buffers on the output channels, for a total of 9. This is less noticeable than the first doubling on the output channels, but still present. You do have to double the buffers to get a readily audible improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back