Pimeta buffer fx for Hi Z cans?
Feb 26, 2005 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davidl

New Head-Fier
What function do the output buffers perform when driving 300 ohn cans?
In the explanation of the circuit, Tangent notes that the opamp is looking at 200 ohms in the input of the buffer. If the buffer sees 200 ohms in the cans, how does it help? One member got by my screw up in first asking this question and said that the buffer helps with hard to drive cans. But if an opamp can feed a 200 ohm buffer shouldn't it be able to feed a set of 300 ohm cans? I could see it having trouble with low impedance phones.

Trying to educate myself

Dave

Feb 26, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't know where you read that, but according to the BUF634 datasheet its input impedance in high bandwidth mode is 8 megaohms.

I don't know the effective impedance of the cascode, but I would bet overall the op-amp sees an output impedance more in the kilo-ohms range.

You could be thinking of the op-amp's open loop output impedance.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 9
"R7
Just in case you're familiar with the META42 or PPA, there is no series resistor between the op-amp and the buffer since the BUF634 has 200 ohms of series resistance on its input already. Hence, there is no "R7".

R8"
This is from Tangent's Part Selection guide for the Pimeta. I may be misinterpreting it.

If it's way higher than that, as the data sheet indicates, then the buffer generates current that the op amp may have trouble generating and it makes perfect sense.

Dave

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidl
What function do the output buffers perform when driving 300 ohn cans?
In the explanation of the circuit, Tangent notes that the opamp is looking at 200 ohms in the input of the buffer. If the buffer sees 200 ohms in the cans, how does it help? One member got by my screw up in first asking this question and said that the buffer helps with hard to drive cans. But if an opamp can feed a 200 ohm buffer shouldn't it be able to feed a set of 300 ohm cans? I could see it having trouble with low impedance phones.

Trying to educate myself

Dave

It's not about whether the OPAMP CAN or CANNOT drive the headphones alone, but rather, by taking the pressure away from the OPAMP you get very overall preformance, sound quality, and overall less problems.

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Tangent means that there is a 200 ohm resistor in series (inline) with the buffer input, internally. That does not mean it has 200 ohm input impedance. The buf634 has a high input impedance and low output impedance (high current).

Cheers

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101
Tangent means that there is a 200 ohm resistor in series (inline) with the buffer input, internally. That does not mean it has 200 ohm input impedance. The buf634 has a high input impedance and low output impedance (high current).

Cheers

that makes sense

Feb 28, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Tangent means that there is a 200 ohm resistor in series (inline) with the buffer input, internally. That does not mean it has 200 ohm input impedance.

Bingo. The input impedance would be 200 ohms if that were in parallel with the input, not in series, as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back