Pim Fortuyn
May 7, 2002 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I would just like to express my condolences to all the Dutch members at Head-fi, as I know there are a few, at the assassination of Pim Fortuyn. Though not everyone may agree with his politics (as I did not), it is still a frightening development for a country that has been so void of this type of event. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident. I hope you and your families are taking this event as well as possible. You have my sympathy.
Stuart

May 7, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 4
yeah, was kindof afraid to bring up a political subject like this in here. but needless to say, it has been on our mind today. and on the news obviously.

while I definately don't agree with just about anything he stands for and has said the last few months, I must say I was kindof shocked not only by the event itself, but also the way the European press sees him as a right extremist and a racist. which he surely is not. but thats besides the point.

the killer seems be "just" a whacko with a gun tho, and I'm sortof glad he's a white Dutchman, not one of the 'racial minorities' (I hate putting it like that, but y'know what I mean), cause if that were the case, this country would be in seriously deep ****. it's not like a left-wing party hired an assasin or something, or that suddenly our whole society is corrupted and robbed of it's freedom of speech. but it does sortof wake you up in an unpleasant way.

it is kindof unreal tho, he has been in the news every day, and his party was going frighteningly well in the polls. I'm curious to see how people are going to vote next week.

May 8, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Stuart. I think this is an incredible blow for our democracy. I agree with Braver. I would never vote for him but he was not a fascist or dangerous far-right leader like Le Penn, De Winter or Haider the European and American press make of him. But that's not really important now, let's hope everybody stays calm and that this does not happen again.

May 8, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, I think the New York Times gave a fair portrayal of him at least...I think his statements were obviously a little different than the other prominent rightests. I think your democracy will last though. It seems that the best way to make someone popular is to kill them...people don't seem to get it. It just draws attention to their cause. In the same vein, if the CIA were to assassinate Osama Bin Laden or Sadaam Hussein, the same thing would result -- it would just increase their appeal. The U.S. has been through several assassinations, and they have only strengthened unity in our country, so I hope the Netherlands can use this awful event constructively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back