PII 350 or not?
Nov 11, 2001 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
I have had my comp for ages, based on 440BX mobo and PII350. Recently i had a look at the serial number on the CPU, and in it the succession of numbers 333 comes up, but never 350.

I was wondering if i actually have been sold a 333 cpu? Is there any way to tell what speed the CPU is from the packaging/serial number etc.

I just want to know if i've been overclocking my processor for all these years.

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd check out http://overclockers.com

They have a database of chips, etc.; it seems like they have some sort of serial number list for most of the entries as well, though I'm not sure if this is the same number you're looking at.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The difference between those sorts of things is piddling at best. If I recall correctly, the only difference between a 333 and a 350 is that one made it past the test at 350 and the other didn't. You might want to monitor the heat, voltage, and that sort of thing from time to time, but even a single check of these variables should be enough. Basically, if it runs, just let it run.

Nov 17, 2001 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Is there any way to tell what speed the CPU is from the packaging/serial number etc.

Yes, download the Intel Freq. ID Utility ... it's at www.intel.com

Quote:

The difference between those sorts of things is piddling at best. If I recall correctly, the only difference between a 333 and a 350 is that one made it past the test at 350 and the other didn't.

Not true, the bus speed on the motherboard can make a large difference. For the 333MHz processor, the bus runs at 66 MHz (i.e. 5x66) whereas the 350MHz processor runs at a bus speed of 100MHz (i.e. 3.5x100).

Nov 18, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 8
But you could overclock some of the 333s to 500 and you can't do that with the 100Mhz bus 350s because they were multiplier locked, i'd say there is a chance you have an unlocked 333 running at 350, it really isn't a big deal. Running on a 100Mhz bus isn't any different for the CPU then running on a 66Mhz bus other then it recieves data faster from the rest of the computer, and a 17Mhz overclock is nothing (Unless we are talking old K6s, Pentiums, etc
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Quote:

Mine says 452 Mhz when it's 450 and it says I have 511 MB RAM when I have 512!

This is because your bus speed might be running at a touch over the normal speed, some motherboard manufacturers do that to boost their performance a touch in benchmarks.

As for the RAM, do you have integrated graphics? That would do it, or it might just be a silly thing that happens for no good reason.

Nov 18, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 8
well, i downloaded the CPU ID from intel www.

And yes, it is a 333MHZ cpu, so i was sold a lie basically.

But anyways, its been stbale for almost 3 years now running at 350MHz, so to hell with it!

My BX6 motherboard accepts up to 800MHz cpu with the latest BIOS, and i am thinking of replacing the CPU with a 800MHz celeron. If anyonehas any info about this, please let me know. (The board is a abit 440BX).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nov 19, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 8
eeyssjr - You are better off getting a regular PIII, the newer Celerons are a lot slower then the older ones relative to the PII/PIII. Just make sure you update your BIOS, and you should be fine. You could even get a 1Ghz PIII, you motherboard supports multipliers up to 8x, but if you sit it to 8x or 5x or whatever else, the PIIIs automatic multiplier thing forces it to 10x.

Just make sure you get a CPU made for a 100Mhz bus. The ones for 133Mhz busses will for fine, but they will run at 3/4 the clock speed.

Also, you may be able to use the new new Celerons in your computer, the 1.1Ghz ones that have 256kb of cache, they are basically the same thing as PIIIs.

My little brother's computer has a PIII 800 even though the motherboard only "supports" up to a 600Mhz chip because the CPU automatically runs at the proper 8x multiplier.

What board do you have specifically? My little brother has an Abit BX6 rev 2.0, I use an Aopen AX59BC Pro Gold in my system (also BX, also with a PIII 800).

I would reccomend www.mwave.com as a dealer, and you can check prices at www.pricewatch.com.

Nov 19, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 8
This is interesting.

I have the predecessor to your brothers board, the abit BX6 (version 1). This seems to have the exact same spec as the R2 board on the abit website (www.abit.com.tw)

This states a max CPU speed of 700MHz. When i go into the bios i see that the maximum default value (ie: factory preset) is for 700MHz(with 100MHz bus). Howver, under "user dfine" i see a max multiplier of 8x and and max "suggested/rated" FSB of 100MHz (i wouldnt like to use 133 becuase it messes up the ASP and PCI bus).

So basically, with the latest bios, the abit BX6 (and r2) will actually run at 800MHz. Are you sure your brothers board has "forced the chip higher than is rated. I say this becuase the board is rated at 700MHz and has 8x multiplier in the bios - maybe is recognised the cpu and set it right, but did not "force" the speed to rated value above and beyond the max the board believes it can take. i am a little cautious of this. can you confirm?

From what you say perhaps getting a 1.1GHz celeron and running it at 800MHz is a good option. Or are you suggested there is a possiblilty it will run at 1.1GHz as it is forced to this - or even 1GHz would be nice.

The abit boards are really very flexible and i wouldnt be supised if they go beyond what is in the bios - do you have any info sites of which you know they discuss this sprt of thing??

Thankyou
Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back