Pierre Monteux Decca Box set
Aug 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I plan on buying Pierre Monteux Decca & Philips Recordings, 1956-1964
A box set of 7 cds release in 2007. Available at amazon.

I read that most (or a lot) of the recordings are from the Living Stereo era.

Any comments or critics on this product? I am buying it especially for the Stravinsky and Ravel pieces.

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 10
If the music is something you like, get it before it's deleted. Pierre Monteux is one of my absolute favorite conductors of all time. Almost everything he did just seems so "right". He let the music speak for itself, invariable had the correct tempo, understood clarity and balance and in general made great music come alive. Personally, I think his best work was on RCA, but I wouldn't be without the Decca recordings either. If you like this set, get the Beethoven symphonies issued in 2-fers.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you for your insight. I bought the boxset from amazon.

I have the Living Stereo cd of Monteux conducting the 6th symp of Tchaikovsky and it is high quality!

I like the quality that is in the Living Stereo series. I expect to find the same quality of recording and sound in this boxset.

Sometimes I have some rush for classical music. When I discovered Talich Quartet on Calliope playing Beethoven's strings quartet I went to heaven. I could not listen to anything else of the boxset than the 14th and 9th quartet for a few months.

I do not understand the expression "2-fers" you wrote! do you mean afterwards?

For sure I will check the Beethoven's symp conducted by Monteux. Are they on RCA and with which orchestra? BSO, LSO??

tku

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 10
2-fer: Those 2-disk sets that are so popular. There are two sets. One has symphonies 2, 4, 5, 7. The other 1, 3, 6, 8. That leaves 9. There was a fine LSO version on Westminster LP that is currently available on Millennium Classics and a wonderful live version from France that you can get on Music & Arts.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Tku for the Music and Arts info. I will look into it more attentively. I saw some recordings of Monteux. The 9th is available through a boxset of recordings.

My question/concern is more about the quality of recordings made originally in the 40-50s. Is it very good ? I mean are the recordings "restored"? I suppose it is not in mono but in stereo.

My ignorance in these matter make me go carefully before buying and as I like very much good music I am much disapointed when the sound quality does not support the music.

understand what I mean??

regards

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 10
The Deccas are I think all stereo. Obviously not the sound you can expect today, but still very good and enjoyable. Decca and Philips were capable of very good sound in those days. Tape hiss to be sure.

The Music & Arts are mostly mono with some dropouts and noise and restricted sound quality.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 10
I have a small collection of classic and I was thincking of expanding it gradually around Monteux. He looks like a sure thing!

Per the reviews at Amazon,Monteux equals quality.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A complete discography is contained in the bio about him "Pierre Monteux: Maitre" by John Canarina.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind.

I found the 2-fers on Beethoven symp at amaz...
I keep those in mind too.

shipping date for Monteux should be 15-17 august. I know I will have a ball!

regards

denis

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi!
I found the 2 X 2-fers of Beethoven symp made by Monteux with Vienna and LSO. Made by Decca.

there is also a pressing made by Decca Japan. Would the pressing be better because it is made in Japan?

I have this idea that in general any Japan pressing is more expensive than done elsewhere and that also the sound is better?

Is this true?

The japan boxset is complete with all the symp, including the ninth by LSO

I want to get one or the other. Probably will go with Decca Japan but there is a difference in price. Difference is 2X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back