Piece of critic on Grado!
Sep 16, 2005 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

hoosterw

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Today I collected my new Grado RS1 from my dealer.
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif

I presently got it hooked on to get some hours on it.

But one thing shock me
eek.gif
!

A simple white carton box.... for such a piece of equipment @ that price
confused.gif

Unbelieveable. A piece like that deserves at least an nicely crafted wooden box.

Hope it does not sounds like the box!

Hear, see and learn Grado!

Hans from NL.

rgds Hans

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 51
Sep 16, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
do we really need to discuss this again?

not really, that's why I linked him to the other thread on it.

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 51
just wondering hans, you bought it in NL? How could you justify it, to buy it in NL. I hate grado for their price-policy in europe. Its stupid we have to be 1.5 times the amount of money for a headphone

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 51
How much would you like to pay for a box? You can get anything you want for a price. Nothing is free and the mark up on manufactured goods is 4X cost so how much extra would you like to pay?

I got my PS-1 Pros and took them out of the box- I haven’t seen the box since. These cans are for listening to not storage.

If you want a nice box you should buy some Sennheisers otherwise why not listen to the headphones?

Mitch

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
PS-1 .. These cans are for listening to not storage.

man , what an assertion here ..
..it could really fit nicely as promo on a ps-1 grado box , cool..

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 51
Sorry guy,

But I did not check whether this discussion had been held before.
I was just so flabergatsed that I needed to ventilate!

I gladly join another discussion.

As to the European price, that is not solely Grado, although I agree they could do something if they whised to.
But on many different area´s and items US is much cheaper the Europe, hé even a lot of time UK is cheaper. Look to TAG or CD-DVD or paperback prices for example.

But luckily I had quite a discount from my dealer so the difference was reduced enough to not run the risk of importing with duties etc..
I have all my Shure´s via import and regular mail...> GIFT!
etysmile.gif

Like said: it is not a matter of what you want to pay. That discussion is irrelevant here anyway. Its a matter of principle in this league.

Rgds Hans

Sep 16, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Enjoy your RS-1, they get better and better with every hour of use
biggrin.gif

Indeed. Congratulations on the purchase. Forget about the box and enjoy the sound. These 'phones are a must for listening and are not made to be in storage. Hope you enjoy them. They are among the very best.
cool.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 51
I dont understand this whole issue surrounding Grado and their packaging. If your gonna poke fingers at Grado Labs for packaging a pair of 600$ headphones in a cardboard box, then you might as well stir up crap on every company in the world that manufactures audio equipment. The purpose of the box is only to secure the item during shipment and storage. Sure we want to see a fancy box that screams style and authority. But in reality it will make no difference. I do not see B&W, Dynaudio, NAD, Mark Levinson, or Krell offering anything but a cardboard box. Infact, Dynaudio's highest-end flagship speaker, the Evidence Master, ships in a number of cardboard boxes. Now, should we go after them because they do not provide some sort of fancy preservation kit, or dont use a more durable material then cardboard for their packaging? Or better yet, why dont high end manufactures give us a slab of granite with a little display light to show off our product? Why not!? Because its not about the box ladies and gentlemen... its whats inside that counts. Packaging will always be packaging and nothing more. The day that audio manufactures spend more time on making their boxes look "prettier" rather then spending that time on the product itself, is the day when we loose all innovation.

Put an end to this pointless thread.

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 51
Well the problem is that you're shipping a pair of $1400 headphones in a cardboard box. I don't know about you, but I don't think that's exactly the most protective thing I can think of. When you pay $1400, you expect a little more in terms of presentation. I mean, even an aluminum case would have been nicer, and could be banged around more without worry, and used for storage/transportation as well.

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 51
screw the box, bring me some HP-1000! Cardboard rulez anyway!!!!

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
... I do not see B&W, Dynaudio, NAD, Mark Levinson, or Krell offering anything but a cardboard box. Infact, Dynaudio's highest-end flagship speaker, the Evidence Master, ships in a number of cardboard boxes...

Put an end to this pointless thread.

amen, I pay for the gear, not the package. i would like to point out that McIntosh Labs ships their amps in a super heavy duty, double walled carboard box (one inside the other) that has a wooden palette built in to the bottom and the amp is actually bolted to it. i thought that was a really nice touch and it's super strong. the shipping boxes alone weigh about a 30 lbs!

etysmile.gif

dave-g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back