Pictures of your Portable Rig
Nov 24, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #181 of 1,385
the hardest part of making it( there is only like 3.5inches of cable between the connectors was remembering to put on the extra parts for the 2nd connector before soldering and clamping the cable. whoops.

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #182 of 1,385
Nice rig, Brschmid. Now I have a couple questions for you.

1) How long is that cable? I'm guessing maybe 3".

2) Is your Mint amp afixed to your Zen case? If so, how?

Contrary to how it may look in the picture I posted, my case isn't connected to my amp at all. That's just how it usually sits on my desk here at work.

I'm currently looking into some alternatives for sticking my source and amp together, but I don't want to ruin my case, and I need to be able to seperate them easily, as the iPod doubles as my car stero as well.

Close Up

Driver's Side

Passenger's Side

Passenger's Side 2

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #183 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
who? me?

buy some Canare Star Quad and 2 switchcraft connectors from www.markertek.com

solder them up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or just buy a cable from them directly. For $20 you'll get an awesome cable for any portable rig.

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #184 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
Or just buy a cable from them directly. For $20 you'll get an awesome cable for any portable rig.

i guess, do they do custom sizes?

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #185 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by iPodophile
Nice rig, Brschmid. Now I have a couple questions for you.

1) How long is that cable? I'm guessing maybe 3".

2) Is your Mint amp afixed to your Zen case? If so, how?

it is 2.5" inbetween the ends of the connectors. i never measured it until now.

Velcro

BTW; your car setup looks nice, but i still won't trade my Premier 740MP for anything, except something higher up....

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #186 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by rt297
master83,
Nice setup. How do you like your Supermicro. I'm dying to get one.

It's great considering it's size. but I'll have to wait until after burn in before I can comment further. So far so good.

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #187 of 1,385
ipodophile,

Very nice set up! How many 9V does it take, and how long do they last?

Scott

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #188 of 1,385
Brschmid,

Your car set up looks (and probably sounds) nicer, but having just plunked down $500+ for the iPod, I took the cheap way out
wink.gif

Plus, I really like having all of my music with me everywhere I go.

Scottder,

Thanks. It takes a single 9v battery tucked very neatly into a compartment at the back of the case. I just got my amp on Saturday so I'm still running on the first charge, but Norm told me to expect between 5 and 8 hours off 1 charge depending on how loud I crank it. I'm on about the 4th hour right now.

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #189 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by iPodophile
Scottder,

Thanks. It takes a single 9v batter tucked very neatly into a compartment at the back of the case. I just got my amp on Saturday so I'm still running on the first charge, but Norm told me to expect between 5 and 8 hours off 1 charge depending on how loud I crank it. I'm on about the 4th hour right now.

Very interesting, let us know how you like the sound. Did you get additonal buffers?

Scott

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #190 of 1,385
Nope, just the default 3 buffers.

I asked about extra buffers prior to placing my order, but Norm advised against it. Apparently each extra buffer puts quite a bit of load on the battery, so the life would be even shorter. 5 to 8 hours is good for what I need, but I wouldn't want any less.

The next step - to try bulding an AC powered PIMETA myself!

As far as the sound goes -

So far the sound is amazing. This is my first headphone amp though, so I haven't really got anything to compare it to. Definately light years ahead of just pluging straight into the iPod though.

I'd really like to get new pads soon. I've listened to the phones without the pads and I'm definately losing a bit of detail there.

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #192 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
i guess, do they do custom sizes?

I think they'll make pretty much whatever you want. Just give them a call. They cater to the professional A/V market so they don't have big markups like companies that cater to audiophiles.

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #193 of 1,385
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
It's great considering it's size. but I'll have to wait until after burn in before I can comment further. So far so good.

Cool. How do you have it configured? Since you have the Ety's, did you ge the by passable built in adapter? Which op amps? I can't tell if the analog pot is an option on the Super Micro either.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #194 of 1,385
the bypass-able ER-4P to 4S function was not an option when I ordered the supermicro.. so I got the 75 ohm adapter instead. I've got the best sounding OP AMP Xin could offer. Got Xinfeed Xfeed. Sounds great. I'll post further after a while... I'm working so damn much right now, so I don't have time to test it out. C'YA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back