Pictures of your portable rig- Part VI
Dec 3, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #496 of 866
Excuse the picture quality, a photographer I am not. The lighting in my house this late also leaves something to be desired.

Zen Vision:M -> Qables silver line-out -> PA2V2 -> Etymotic ER-6i or Koss KSC75. Click the thumbs for larger pictures if you'd like:

On the go I put the rig into a small camera bag. The amp sits in the back pocket on top of its boxed charger, which both keeps it at a perfect height and keeps the charger convenient if needed:

The Zen is in the front pocket upside-down under a flap and the line-out cable feeds though a hole I punched in the bag. To access the DAP, I just pop the clip and the flap opens. The mesh in the pocket holds the DAP in place.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #497 of 866
Very similar setup...however, im going to return my KSC-75s and use the iGrados. Same case too =) i cut a small slit on top to wire the headphone cable in. Thanks to HiFiHaxor for making me the IC cable at the meet today. Awesome work....should of had you rewire my iGrados hehe.

p2040888mediumox9.jpg

p2040886mediumck5.jpg

p2040890mediumes9.jpg

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #498 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedpoet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse the picture quality, a photographer I am not. The lighting in my house this late also leaves something to be desired.

Zen Vision:M -> Qables silver line-out -> PA2V2 -> Etymotic ER-6i or Koss KSC75. Click the thumbs for larger pictures if you'd like:

On the go I put the rig into a small camera bag. The amp sits in the back pocket on top of its boxed charger, which both keeps it at a perfect height and keeps the charger convenient if needed:

The Zen is in the front pocket upside-down under a flap and the line-out cable feeds though a hole I punched in the bag. To access the DAP, I just pop the clip and the flap opens. The mesh in the pocket holds the DAP in place.

Wow, you have the exact same setup as me (Zen:M, pa2v2)! However, I use the supplied cable that came with the pa2v2 through the headphone jack.

Couple of quick questions:
1.) Does the line-out make a huge difference with the pa2v2 vs. the jack?
2.) I tried using the line-out on the Zen via the included dongle, but the volume was so high, even with the amp! I would have to turn the volume on the amp so low that I would hear distortion and a volume difference between the right and left channels. Does the Qables line-out help?
3.) Which version of the Qables do you have? Is there a big difference between the more inexpensive version vs. the Switchcraft?

Cheer.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #499 of 866
I was wondering the samething...i connected the line out connector and turned off video output in settings. But it does seem to be alittle different sounding compared. It uses the EQ setting from what i can tell, just doesnt sound the same to me. Seems there is more sound present when using the headphone jack.

If your amp has some type of setting to change the sound, i think im better off using the headphone jack. I cant stand most music (cept jazz) with to much mid..it just annoying to me.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #500 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedpoet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How does the PA2v2 effect your ER-6i's, does it work well with the line-out? Did you have Gary adjust the gain at all?
Cherio!
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #501 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the PA2v2 effect your ER-6i's, does it work well with the line-out? Did you have Gary adjust the gain at all?
Cherio!
tongue.gif

Keep in mind that I am new to all of this, but to me, the amp is a necessity for the ER-6i. Without the amp, I find the highs in these IEMs to be a bit shrill for me. The PA2V2 tames them fantastically, adding some low-end and bringing the high-end in a bit. There is a significant difference between the line-out and the headphone jack, specifically with the low-end. Through the headphone jack the ER-6i sound somewhat hollow (my KSC-75 don't have this problem) but the amp brings them right back to a comfortable place to me where it sounds very natural. It's still a brighter sound than with my KSC-75 and my PX-100, but it's a comfortable sound for me, and I enjoy it very much.

Gary didn't do anything with the gain, as I didn't have IEMs when I bought the amp, though after a long listening session today, I'm considering it. With the ER-6is I have to keep the volume very low on the PA2V2, and as you have probably seen posted here, at low volume levels the PA2V2 has channel balance issues. You have to find a volume where the channels balance out and still give you the level you want in your ears.

Today, I had my rig out while I was running my leaf blower for 2 hours and it was fantastic. I was using the tri-flange tips and the blower was nothing but background noise. I went trough the entirety of Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger and Alice & Chains - Dirt and they sounded fantastic the entire time.

I have to fly from Detroit to Amsterdam plus a connection to Stuttgart, Germany next week and I am ecstatic to have these IEMs to take with me. I have never had the pleasure of isolating phones on a flight and as much as I hate sitting in a tiny tube for 9 hours, I'm looking forward to spending some time with my Etymotics
smily_headphones1.gif

As an unsolicited plug, I absolutely love my Qables line-out. Hans got it to me in 8 days from The Netherlands to the US and as far as I know, he is the only game in town for a line-out from a Zen. I can't say yet whether or not I hear a difference between his connector and my Cardas mini-mini out of the sync adapter, but the convenience alone is worth it to me. I hate carrying around the extra part.

I hope my newbie comments help you out! I also hope this answers dropkickduffy and HighLife's questions as well. I have the more expensive Qables connector with the Switchraft jack. I can't speak on the performance line that uses the alternate jacks. I had $50 sitting in my PayPal account so it didn't hurt so bad to me to spend the extra cash on the "nicer" cable.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #502 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by w&q /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wellcome to forum. spend some time and those headphones will most probably change. they say "sorry for your wallet"

Well I actually like them (Philips HS900), but i haven't compared to many other headphones higher in the foodchain. I'm planning to get a pair of IEMs though.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #503 of 866
I couldn't decide which pics I liked better, so I just posted them all, lol.

Transportable:

210774164.jpg

210774142.jpg

210774155.jpg

DT770 -> DIY Silver Neutrik cable -> Go Vibe 5 -> Cube
It's not as bad to lug around actually. That bag/case has a strap I just strap around my chest and it hangs on my side...I may look funny walking around the mall, but atleast I can't hear what they're saying
redface.gif
tongue.gif

And my biking or whatever other purpose where I think I might break something:

210774138.jpg

Kramer Modded KSC-75's -> Cube on a flash drive lanyard

I recently just bought a SlimX 440 player from mrdon, we'll see how all that plays out
eggosmile.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #505 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is my uber portable set-up. brand new cowon f2 and v-moda vibes.

[]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6231/f2vibessy8.jpg[/IMG]

that loooks so much like a mobile phone!lol

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #508 of 866
i got an ipod 2g before and i liked it. i have a 3g now and i absolutely love it. i can see where this is going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small] I couldn't decide which pics I liked better, so I just posted them all, lol.

Transportable:

DT770 -> DIY Silver Neutrik cable -> Go Vibe 5 -> Cube
It's not as bad to lug around actually. That bag/case has a strap I just strap around my chest and it hangs on my side...I may look funny walking around the mall, but atleast I can't hear what they're saying
redface.gif
tongue.gif

And my biking or whatever other purpose where I think I might break something:

Kramer Modded KSC-75's -> Cube on a flash drive lanyard

I recently just bought a SlimX 440 player from mrdon, we'll see how all that plays out
eggosmile.gif
[/size]

what camera did you use? it seem to have hdr effect.

iriver cdp players are okay, the expensive sony has bettersound, antiskip and battery life. i had the imp350, 450, and 550. i liked the imp400 most too, the iriver wired remote controllers is excellent, probably the epitome of iriver design. the player has a 1 song queue option, if you press the bottom jogger button i think, something like that.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #510 of 866
Hi all..
new here, This's my 1st amped rig,not too portable, just love it's sound
7249amp.jpg

PPC HTC Universal - PA2V2 - GRADO SR325i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back