Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part IX]
Jan 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #706 of 1,051
Now that we are discussing imods... I get that using an ipod with a lineout dock and an amp gives stellar sound quality. But what I dont understand is why are there so many people using just an ipod nano or shuffle without any amps. They mostly use this setup for working out.

I have an ipod nano and I absolutely hate that thing. I hate the SQ and itunes. The SQ alone kills it for me and unfortunately I got the 2g so I cant use rockbox either. But if you are just using a shuffle or a nano.. why not just get a cheap iriver or iaudio. Those players comes packed with features and they got great SQ. If you aint gonna use an amp then I dont see a point in getting an ipod.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #707 of 1,051
On the Rockbox forums some time ago, there has been a test of whether Rockbox's OS is better SQ-wise than the stock player. Verdict: Exact same.

iPods are known for their simplicity and ease of use, which is why many people prefer them over other players. Also, people use their minimalist portable setups while they're working out because they're running and have their mind focused on other things besides discerning if they could hear cymbal artifacts on Hotel California at the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that we are discussing imods... I get that using an ipod with a lineout dock and an amp gives stellar sound quality. But what I dont understand is why are there so many people using just an ipod nano or shuffle without any amps. They mostly use this setup for working out.

I have an ipod nano and I absolutely hate that thing. I hate the SQ and itunes. The SQ alone kills it for me and unfortunately I got the 2g so I cant use rockbox either. But if you are just using a shuffle or a nano.. why not just get a cheap iriver or iaudio. Those players comes packed with features and they got great SQ. If you aint gonna use an amp then I dont see a point in getting an ipod.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #708 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoAv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been viewing this thread for some time, and one wonders, as it is an audiophile forum, and 90% of the sources here are iPoo.
How come ? the stock iPod gives mediocre line out and for a good one you have to pay 250$ for an iMod (only saw the RedWine mod price).
What's so good about iPod that appeals to the AP community ?
I'm sorry but I thought in a thread like this I'd see more exotic shapes of sources.
I'm not here to offend anyone just an inquiry.

I'll post my new setup soon on completion.

Because there are a lot of Apple fanboys on this board, as there are almost anywhere.

Then again, the iPod really isn't that bad of a player.

I'm honestly surprised that people still go with an iPod over something with a digital out, such as a Q5W or old iRiver or the upcoming Pacemaker.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #709 of 1,051
aw no-one commented on my rig - the sadness
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #711 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aw no-one commented on my rig - the sadness
frown.gif

You mean this hunk of junk?

FMTs_awesome_rig_.jpg

..............................................[size=x-large]GOTCHA![/size]

I will say that you obviously color matched the combo. Actually quite classy.Now you need a white band and matching dock.

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #712 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm honestly surprised that people still go with an iPod over something with a digital out, such as a Q5W or old iRiver or the upcoming Pacemaker.

Storage capacity.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #714 of 1,051
i use ipod cuz of the ease and i guess the fashion status, ive been using ipods for yonks, so its just easy, i quite like itunes to just sync my ratings/playcounts everything.

im quite happy with it!

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #715 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use ipod cuz of the ease and i guess the fashion status, ive been using ipods for yonks, so its just easy, i quite like itunes to just sync my ratings/playcounts everything.

im quite happy with it!

I'm happy with mine to...and my recent entry into RockBox has re-sparked my interest with it. Now you just need a Silver Pico and you're all set
evil_smiley.gif

I have a love/hate relationship with iTunes. It's so damn simple which is what I need. I've talked myself out of a Classic 160...I ended up filling my 5.5 80 recently with 24 concert DVD's now I want more!

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #717 of 1,051
Yeah the 160GB was big for me, that is the key reason of getting the Classic despite the widespread issues - most of which are now sorted out.

I've only filled up around 126GB - music only, no tv/movies/photos.

Love the UI as well, I'm a sucker for eye candy!

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #720 of 1,051
what is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back