Pictures of your portable rig- Part III of the infinite trilogy
Nov 1, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #377 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
Why wouldn't you watch a movie more than once? What's the point of purchasing a movie if you didn't plan on watching it more than once. All the movies on my iPod are ones that I enjoy watching multiple times. TV shows are definately more to what the iPod's video was intended to be used for, but that's no reason to discount its ability to play full-length movies as well.

Don't know about you, but if I buy a DVD I don't usually watch the movie again staight away?
There is quite a major reason to discount its ability to play movies, being that the battery would run out.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #378 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Don't know about you, but if I buy a DVD I don't usually watch the movie again staight away?
There is quite a major reason to discount its ability to play movies, being that the battery would run out.

Using the same principle, when I buy a CD and import it to my iPod, I'm not going to listen to it only once or twice. I may listen a CD once, and then not again on my iPod for another month or better. With a 30 or 60gb hard drive, this doesn't matter because you can keep it on there forever without compromising space for other CDs. The same applies to movies. I'd rather be able to have 15 or so movies I really like on my iPod at all times so I have a choice of what to watch whenever I may be in a situation where I could sit somewhere and watch one (train, car, bus, waiting room, etc.). Having this many movies on a 60gb iPod does not compromise space, and it adds to the convenience of having a choice whenever a movie-watching opportunity arises.

As far as the battery life goes, of course the battery will run out, and of course it will run out faster due to a higher use of the hardware. In the battery-life category, the iPod fares well against other portable video players. Apple claims 3 hours for video for the 60 gb version, iLounge tested it and it lasted 3hrs 20 minutes. So, watching a 90 minute movie would use approximately 50% of the battery, leaving 10 more hours of music able to be played (according to the 20hr batt. life for playing music). I don't know how this could be considered bad by anyone's daily-use standards. I suppose you wouldn't want to watch a movie if you aren't going to be able to charge your iPod for a few days, however. TV shows are an even better use of the iPod, a 45 minute episode of Lost would only use approximately 25% of the battery life of a 60gb iPod, leaving 75% available for music (15hrs) or another 90 minute movie and 45 minute TV episode.

Again, by normal, daily use standards, in which someone normally wouldn't watch 2 full length movies on an iPod in one day, I don't see anything substantially debilitating about the battery life drain of video on the iPod. Of course, if you were going on a long trip and planned on watching a couple movies and listening to music as well during transit, it would be logical to connect the iPod to a power source or buy an external battery of some sort. I don't know of any portable video device out currently that doesn't need an additional power source to play video for extended hours.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #379 of 1,017
We're obviously very different people. I have over 2000 songs on my Zen and every one gets listened to every 6 months? I listen to a new album, if its good many many times. Also factor in my listening probably equates to 5 hours a day...on average, this will mean a max of 8 or 9 hours often.

I can easily say that I put a lot more significance into listening to music than watching films. Therefore I probably don't put much stock in them?

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #380 of 1,017
I guess we do value things differently in our portable players
tongue.gif
. I have around 3500 songs on my 60gb 5G iPod, 7 full length movies, and 5 episodes of "Lost". I too primarily use the player for music, I haven't even watched a full movie on it yet, I just like the idea of having them on there just in case a time arises when I may want to watch one, since hard drive space is not nearly an issue as of yet, since I don't even have it filled halfway yet
biggrin.gif
. I was just defending its battery life in relation to other players and regular portable use, not whether or not movies are useful to have on the iPod for everyone, that definately depends on the user.

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #381 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ LUCiTE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/djlucite/ipod/42347a75.jp

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/djlucite/ipod/5cecac71.jpg
Ety ER-6i + iPod

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/djlucite/ipod/5af2cbfe.jpg
Front View...only 419 songs because my library deleted itself spontaneously.

Previous Setup/Upgrade path: Koss Plugs + Philips PCDP -> Sennheiser PX200 + iPod 3G -> Shure E2c -> Current

Used to have:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/djlucite/ipod/brushedipod-hl2.jpg

but it fell out of my pocket as I was getting off the bus without me noticing. Sigh. And yeah, I did do the brushmetal myself [img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/biggrin.gif

Dude, the first gen iPod is way cool. Nice job keepin it alive! Gotta love the wheel that actually turns...
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #382 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Dude, the first gen iPod is way cool. Nice job keepin it alive! Gotta love the wheel that actually turns...
biggrin.gif

Hell yeah. Even if I get a new video iPod which I'm planning on, I'm never gonna let go of my First Gen.

It was funny because I was at the Apple Store checkin out the new 5th Gens and the guy was showing me it, and I bust out my 1st gen and I'm like "...man, I feel outdated" and the guy totally flipped out. He was like "holy crap, I'll buy that off of you!" and I was like "here let's just trade...gimme this black 60GB and you can have my 1st gen" haha
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #384 of 1,017
My updated portable rig is:

ipod-->sik lini-out-->cardas interconnect-->SR-71-->ety er4p
ipodandampR.jpg

except now, i have the new 5g 30gig video ipod to replace my old 4g 20gig
cordipod1.jpg

I apologize for the fuzziness of this picture.

And sooner or later I will be replacing the etys with a pair of westone um2's...

Regards,
Dan

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #388 of 1,017
Gotta love the 3Gs.
Lovin' the sig, RnB
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #389 of 1,017
CIMG0119.jpg

CIMG0120.jpg

My new portable rig, Nano -> Sik Din ->RnB's mini -> Hornet.

*Insert Bomb Joke Here*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back