Pictures of your portable rig- Part III of the infinite trilogy
Oct 12, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #196 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
How do you like the LDMicro? And, if you don't mind, how much was it?
biggrin.gif

Hi Onix

It sounds good, but needs a pretty high input level before it starts to sound really good (25 out of 30 on the Mobi cube). I have not listened to it long enough with headphones to make any valid judgments on its fidelity because I have been using it as a portable way to connect the Mobi to a stereo... so I went back for a listen:

- Using Shuttle SB61G2V4 AC97 on board sound as a source
- Listening to cowboy junkies "sweet jane" ripped at 320kbps by CD-Da X-tractor, VBR=0, MPEG=High
- HD 650 through AudioActive Player
- LD micro volume setting at 1:00, Shuttle volume bar placed between the 3rd and 4th line (almost 50%)

First thing I can tell you that it can drive my Beyer DT880s and my Sennheiser DT650s with no problem. Background dead quiet. Cymbals crisp and realistic, high end clear and detailed. Margo's voice sounds like Margo's voice. Bass is articulated but not bloated. Hey not bad for something this small! Now plugged the 650s straight into the shuttle... boo! Bad sound, lost the crisp high end, and clean bass, sounds muted in comparison (even at higher volume levels) ... so big improvement to the basic sound out of the computer.

One other judgment, it seems to have burned in since I last listened to it with headphones. Sounds much better than I remember it sounding when I first got it ... more probably because I discovered that it needs a high signal level to really shine.

So, will it replace your SR71? Probably not. But it is very small and interesting.

I got it as part of a group buy so I can't really tell you how much it would cost by itself.

Regards

USG

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #197 of 1,017
Leto Atreides II, how do you like the sound of your X5 when it's portable (unamped that is)?
what unit did you own previousley, and what are those IEMs?

Jonathan

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #198 of 1,017
They're Studiophonic Hearos Platinum 25 series, which are actually ER-4Ps (they've got Etymotic serial numbers, and the rebranded er-6i version they sell still says er-6 on the drivers.) My only complaint so far was wax that got plugged up in my ear canal, and really it was my fault for not cleaning them before use. Some people complain about the lack of bass with the ER-4Ps, and maybe it's my long history with the HD280s, but I don't "see" the problem. There's enough bass for me with very minimal EQ adjustments.

This quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt:
Personally, I don't want to be pacified by ticklish rumbles. I'd rather have insights into the relationship between individual parts that comprise my music

pretty much sums up my opinion of the etymotics. I really like them.

It sounds very slightly better with the amp, but overally it's not worth it because 1)The amp is larger than the X5L, and 2)The battery on the X5L goes a lot quicker with the amp, since I have to have it at about 28 on the iAudio for the amp to sound decent, compared to about 12 with just the etys. Combine that with the amount of FLAC and high VBR files, and the battery life is a lot less than the 35 hours advertised.

I used to use, and still do use actually, a Sony D-EJ621 PCDP. My other headphones are HD280pros, KSC55s, and HD202s. I'm also THIS close to buying a pair of AKGs, havent decided which. If none sound like the 501s I tried, then it might be them.

Even unamped, and with lossy digital audio, these IEMs sound incredible. There's a lot of music I hardly ever listened to before that sounds a lot more interesting to me now.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #199 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
They're Studiophonic Hearos Platinum 25 series, which are actually ER-4Ps (they've got Etymotic serial numbers, and the rebranded er-6i version they sell still says er-6 on the drivers.)

It sounds very slightly better with the amp, but overally it's not worth it because 1)The amp is larger than the X5L, and 2)The battery on the X5L goes a lot quicker with the amp. Combine that with the amount of FLAC and high VBR files, and the battery life is a lot less than the 35 hours advertised.

I used to use, and still do use actually, a Sony D-EJ621 PCDP. My other headphones are HD280pros, KSC55s, and HD202s. I'm also THIS close to buying a pair of AKGs, havent decided which.

Even unamped, and with lossy digital audio, these IEMs sound incredible. There's a lot of music I hardly ever listened to before that sounds a lot more interesting to me now.

I thought amps improved battery life on the dap.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #200 of 1,017
No, because I have to have the DAP on a MUCH higher output level with the amp.

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #201 of 1,017
My walkman phone came today

have a 30GB ipodv coming also
smily_headphones1.gif

DSC00612.jpg

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #208 of 1,017
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Caliente!
I want the other version, the K750i. How much did you pay for that W800?

$405 from buy.com

i sold my k750 the same day to get this
600smile.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #209 of 1,017
those phones are sooooo damn sexy!!!
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back