Picture of iPod 4G
Jul 19, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #76 of 110
No increase in storage space?

Screw THAT. Apple can kiss my completely wasteful purchase goodbye.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #77 of 110
velda... you know the iPod can run idependantly from installed software on a PC. the iPod is mass storage complent and you can put Ephpod on the iPod's own hard drive and run it from there. havn't tried it with iTunes.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #78 of 110
Trust me, i know. The only time i ever had the apple software installed was on a win32 laptop so i could change the FS to FAT. After that it has been on fBSD and Slackware with gtkPod almost exclusively.

When i speak of the cruddy iPod OS im talking about the embedded OS, not the software they ship with it. Its flashy and minimalistic, but its missing alot for a super user.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #80 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velda
its missing alot for a super user.

yes, that's an issue for me too.. it's certainly an improvement over my v.2 pod, though.

iPod still needs:
scrolling text for items that don't fit onscreen (anything 18+ characters)
menu option to shut iPod OFF (instead of default sleep-mode that drains battery)
5-band custom EQ
option for looping lists/menus
able to delete tracks
nested playlists (instead of just dumping all the tracks from album into the list, it would add the album name to the playlist comprising all those tracks)

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #81 of 110
they should of developed a bit more with the 4G or should i say 3.03G a bit thin on the new feature list IMO as astonia was saying , all that software type of stuff is really easy to do as most the tools are there for it, however it is an _ipod_ and apple would want to hide a lot of things away from the regular apple user, as they cbf learning how to "tweak" ..

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #82 of 110
I'm gonna get one... better battery is a big plus! I hope the playlist will be better; ie having album folders in a playlist (for better overview.)

edit:
I just saw this on ipodlounge:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlounge.com
"HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital entertainment strategy," said Carly Fiorina, chairman and chief executive officer at HP. "We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP's version of the new iPod will be available in September."

I wonder if it's gonna be blue like the first HPod...

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #83 of 110
I just saw the official specs at Apple.
Wasn't the 3G ipod and all other ipods 80% charge in 1hr like the ipod mini? It is now 80% charge in 2hrs? does this mean something has changed with the battery or charging mechanism?

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #85 of 110
Apple has yet to impress me. I just don't get their I-Pod appeal. The new unit is very underwhelming. My Rio Karma still seems to be superior. Imagine that, a 1st gen product beating out a 4th gen product. I-Pod rocks.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #86 of 110
I bit the bullet and ordered the 40gb model. Basically I have a 3G 20gb now and have been itching for a larger one. The price difference made it worthwhile for me to upgrade. If I had a 40gb 3G i would never upgrade just for a click wheel but with the $399 price tag I couldn't not do it for double the storage.

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #88 of 110
Went down to the Apple store (San Francisco) this morning, they didnt' have it. So I had to order it online...

*sigh*.. I was so hoping I could just leave the store with it in my hands.

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #89 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V
Apple has yet to impress me. I just don't get their I-Pod appeal. The new unit is very underwhelming. My Rio Karma still seems to be superior. Imagine that, a 1st gen product beating out a 4th gen product. I-Pod rocks.
wink.gif

Err... Rio (under Rio, Sonic Blue and Nike brands and ownership) has had at least 14 MP3 products. Imagine that, they have a competitive product after that many models? Also is the Karma a 1st generation model or a 2nd gen RioRiot?
wink.gif

I like the Karma and think it's one of the best players out there, but to imply it came out of nowhere is a little misleading, don't you think?

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Err... Rio (under Rio, Sonic Blue and Nike brands and ownership) has had at least 14 MP3 products. Imagine that, they have a competitive product after that many models? Also is the Karma a 1st generation model or a 2nd gen RioRiot?
wink.gif

I like the Karma and think it's one of the best players out there, but to imply it came out of nowhere is a little misleading, don't you think?

actually the Riot was developed by "old" Rio... pre-BKO. Karma was developed by an entirely new team of engineers, nothing to do with the old staff. in that sense, it is something new, although it does share many similiarities with the look and feel of the Riot OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back