Picture of iPod 4G
Jul 18, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #46 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I wonder what this new pricing structure will do to the third generations still in stock price?

Indeed! Why would anyone buy a 3G 15GB Ipod versus a 4G 20GB Ipod for the same price? They'll have to do price drops on the old stuff.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #47 of 110
Don't expect Apple to give a firmware upgrade for the older players, or at least one that includes the new iPod features, they didn't do it with the other 3g features.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #48 of 110
Quote:

Longer play. Coast-to-coasters rejoice: the new iPods are rated for 12 hours of rockin' between charges—a 50 percent boost in battery life.

ookk when they say rated - is that like the orignal ipods 'rated' 8 hour battery life if you just leave it playing and don't touch it? Maybe we'll finally see the original 3G's 8 hour life upheld!!
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #49 of 110
I was hoping for more gizmos like colour screen, higher quality recording capability (external or built in) and increased battery life. Could it still be possible that they'll be introducing an iPod Maxi to accompany a 4G vanilla iPod?
biggrin.gif

I really like the control for the Mini, and I think it's a great idea to carry it over to the regular iPod. The great thing is that you don't have to be able to see the iPod to use it. I can actually use my Mini while it's in my trouser pocket as the touch sensitivity still works with one layer of cloth. Although I will admit that it does look a little weird to see someone stroking and tapping their trouser pocket...

Jul 18, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #50 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I was hoping for more gizmos like colour screen, higher quality recording capability (external or built in) and increased battery life. Could it still be possible that they'll be introducing an iPod Maxi to accompany a 4G vanilla iPod?
biggrin.gif

Hopefully this is what they ordered the 60GB drives for. I do have one magazine which show a preview of a video ipod. The screen was very large and it was made for playing movies/viewing pictures.Let me just go find the name of that mag.......

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #52 of 110
I gotta say....

Not exactly the leap forward i was looking for. I mean yes, they did increase battery life, but with a company with as much resources as apple, id think 12 hours is a bit small and they should have made it at least 16 hours.

As far as other features, fine, nothing new or spectacular but then it is designed souly as an audio player so colour screen and video playback isnt useful in that respect.

I know you'll laugh as so many people bitched about 8 hours of battery...but increasing it up to 12 i dont think is gona cut it for me. To buy an ipod, i needed something special, a token of good will, and that to me would be a small player with an astounding battery life. Its small yes, and the battry will prob suffice, but i want MAGIC
tongue.gif

Ed

Id just like to add as regards to the longer battery life, they havent put a new battery in, they just refined how the batery is used. What does this mean? This means the refined menu system needs one click instead of 3 to find a song so battery life is maintained...once you start clicking a few more times than one, id be interested to see how that value plumets. Reviews baby, reviews!

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #53 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Does anyone know if the new wheel will be backlit? In the photo it looks like the wheel is translucent white, which would suggest a backlight. That would be cool.

Yes, the wheel is backlit (pic here, goto www.spymac.com then copy and paste the image URL into the same window to view it).

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #54 of 110
Have you heard of a release date? I'm waiting on this before buying a new player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
What a rip! I was hoping they would actually do something exciting with the 4thG. I guess we'll just have to see what rio does with the Karma2.
biggrin.gif

JV.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #55 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Yes, the wheel is backlit (pic here, goto www.spymac.com then copy and paste the image URL into the same window to view it).

That image is fake. It was created for entertainment by a user on a popular Apple forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddycha
Id just like to add as regards to the longer battery life, they havent put a new battery in, they just refined how the batery is used. What does this mean? This means the refined menu system needs one click instead of 3 to find a song so battery life is maintained...once you start clicking a few more times than one, id be interested to see how that value plumets.

Navigating through the menus does not drain battery life. The main drain of battery life is attributed to when the iPod has to spin up the hard drive to copy the music to the cache. When the Newsweek article said that they made the usage of the battery more efficient, it likely means that they increased the cache from 32MB to 64MB (or higher). This would result in longer battery life for someone who plays full albums or playlists. But if you tend to use the menus to skip to various songs all the time, then the iPod will not make much use of the larger cache and the battery life will be the same as the 3G iPod.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #58 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
I wonder if Apple will lower the price on the 3rd generation ipods.

My bet is that they sell off their remaining stock for the original price and then stop supporting it entirely. But that's just my pessimistic hunch.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #60 of 110
They should laser engrave "QUALIA" on the back of all the remaining 3Gs and keep the price the same. It's a proven market strategy! I'd buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back