Pics of my newbie rig
Aug 30, 2001 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JJDyn0mite

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, since others are sharing pics of their rigs, I thought what the heck. I've been at this for less than a month, so this could give other newbies the feeling that they aren't alone when they don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars woth of amps and other head-fi audio equipment.

Believe it or not, I have less than $200 total in this setup (excluding the computer, of course), but a lot of that was pure serendipity (finding the d-777 at my parents' house was the biggie) and getting some really good deals (they are out there, but it takes some work to find them).

Anyway here they are:

riga.jpg

This is the overview of my desk with everything on it (obviously)

rigb.jpg

Here's my computer, I just recently made the leap of completely ditching my desktop(s) in favor of this laptop and I haven't been disappointed in the last couple months of owning it, it actually plays games better than my old desktop (Quake 3, CounterStrike, Max Payne, etc..., it will play just about anything out there at good fps)

rigc.jpg

Here's my "Home" setup, consisting of a Sony D-9 pcdp (which only runs off of AC and skips really easy (thus not portable), but has a nice sounding line out jack); a JMT apheard #47 altoids amp (best smelling amp available, hands down, sounds nice too); Grado SR-60s (my first "real" headphones) and SR-225's (most recent "upgrado")

rige.jpg

This is my portable setup, which includes an Aiwa AM-F70 MD player/recorder, Sony D-777 pcdp (actually, I just traded this, so it will be in the mail tomorrow, but I had to include it one last time), Koss KSC-50's, and Casio EM-500 (use it for mp3's when I need to)

rigf.jpg

This is my portable setup with my latest means of transportation, HEELYS!! They rock, and look better than the adidas shoes in another thread earlier today. They are basically sneakers with wheels in the heel, so you can walk or roll whenever you want. Lots of fun!!

Anyway, that's about it. I know there are a lot of people in here who wouldn't blink at spending 10x the amount that I have on their headphone rig, but for students like me who can't afford that much, this is a decent and affordable setup for enjoying music.

Aug 30, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 17
Maybe usually, but like I said I got some good deals
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually when I lucked out by finding the D-777, it helped me out the most, because I got a good deal in a trade for it. So, really, the d-777 shouldn't be included (but I did anyway) and otherwise, I would definitely be over $200.

Aug 30, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 17
So what of these items did you get for your D777 ? (just curious
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Maybe I should go to my parents' house and do some searching... I might find a Wadia in a closet or so...

biggrin.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 17
damn JJDyn0mite,
the sony d-9 with the altoids CHA47 amp! i just e-mailed JMT about buying one of his amps to use with MYsony d-9.

so how does this combo sound, man? and what interconnect are you using.

and why aren't you using the d-777 with your amp?

Aug 30, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 17
arnett-

Combo sounds good, but I never claimed to be an audiophile, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It gets harsh if you crank it up too high, but my eardrums can barely stand cranking the pot over halfway anyway. The interconnect is a generic mini-mini cable I found in my electronics bag
smily_headphones1.gif
Again, I'm not an audiophile and don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between cables (and couldn't afford to if I could...).

I'm not using my d-777 because, well, it's not mine anymore, I'm mailing it out tomorrow. I traded it because I wanted to try out the MD route and got a good deal for it. These pics are the last of the legendary 777 in my possession (and I wouldn't want to get used to the sound of the 777 combo with the JMT, then I might regret my decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim- While I don't doubt that he has some minty-ass breath, one of the cool touches he threw in was including the mints that came out of the tin in a separate baggy. Man! you wouldn't believe the aroma that came out of that little brown box, it was awesome!!

Sep 1, 2001 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 17
That's a firewire IDE enclosure, you can put a hard drive or CD-ROM/CDRW/DVD in it, plug it in and it's automatically recognized for instant storage boost. I was just in the process of backing up my old computer and transferring the files over to my new laptop, so it was out.

I don't think I'll be using it much anymore, so if anyone is interested in it, msg me. I've used it twice, will trade it for some nice cans.

Sep 5, 2001 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Heh, I like how JMT included my Pengiun mints in a rolled up bag... seems like I'm doing something illegal... heh. I think when I find out where to buy Penguin's around here, I'll take 'em out and roll them up in a bag again. Those things are great.

And, so is the amp with the Grado's
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 17
jerikl,

You can order Penguins here.

Quote:

Originally, erroneously posted by JJDynOmite

While I don't doubt that he has some minty-ass breath

Minty-ass?!?!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back