Pics of my new headphone-centric set-up (big pics)
Dec 21, 2006 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rgoodnight

Head-Fier
Thanks to head-fi I am rediscovering the pleasures of listening to headphones and I have re-configured my system with permanent and separate amplification for my two main headphones: K1000 and HD580 (Jubilee edition).

Since I enjoy seeing pictures of other people's set-up, I thought I'd post mine.

DSC_0061.JPG

The system consists of the following:

Sources:

- Rega Apollo CD player (best, analog-sounding, player under $2K)
- Thorens TD125II turntable, with SME 3009 II tonearm, and AudioTechnical AT440mla and custom plinth - one of the best looking turntable IMO
- McIntosh MR80 tuner - a beauty with excellent specs and a very warm sound

Close-up of turntable plus tuner (and pre-amp)

DSC_0016.JPG

Pre-Amp:

- McIntosh C34V - A "vintage" beauty with 2 headphones out and a 20W monitor amp (so I can connect the K1000 directly to it). 5-band EQ and variable loudness for great low-level listening. Phono stage, and it has output for 2 amplifiers so I can easily switch between loudspeakers and headphone amps. The perfect pre for headphone lovers.

DSC_0066.JPG

Power-Amps:

-McIntosh MC250 - Another vintage beauty. I use this on my speakers (Quad 22L)

-Bottlehead S.E.X. - Built this great SET amp from a kit. Sounds great with both the K1000 and Senn HD580

PrimaLuna Prologue One - not in pic.

Close-up of Bottlehead (the little wires are going to the K1000)

DSC_0071-1.JPG

Close-up of McIntosh MC250. I haven't tried this yet with the K1000, but I will in the next couple of weeks.

DSC_0070-1.JPG

Headphones:

-AKG K1000

DSC_0068-1.JPG

-Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee edition

DSC_0069-1.JPG

I have a few others, but these two meet all my needs.

Hope you enjoyed these pics.

Randy

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no pics.
frown.gif

QFT

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

no pics.
frown.gif

Very sorry guys, it looks just fine on my preview.

I use the
method pointing to my Picasa public album

Here's a direct link to the Picasa album. Hopefully this works for you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stratoca...ttleNightMusic

Perhaps someone can tell me what I did wrong and why the preview looks just fine.

How embarassing
blink.gif

Randy

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 10
HAH! Love the images of all of your gear, they look amazing. But I would have figured with all of that money spent, you'd be more willing to spend more than $6 for an ikea lamp. Heh, I had 2 of those... down to 1 now. One morning I woke up and 1 just disappeared...

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

no clue why it didnt work, but I love all the vintage gear. What years are the McIntosh stuff?

The MR80 and C34V are from the 70s, the MC250 was (if I understand correctly) McIntosh first solid-state amp and is from the 60s.

I am taking this opportunity to test another way of sharing pics.

The image below is on Flickr.com (instead of Picasa). I also have a link below.

329251973_f06c911e1b_m.jpg

Sorry again for the missing pics. It looked fine to me on preview and also when I look at the posted version - but only on my computer.

Randy

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAH! Love the images of all of your gear, they look amazing. But I would have figured with all of that money spent, you'd be more willing to spend more than $6 for an ikea lamp. Heh, I had 2 of those... down to 1 now. One morning I woke up and 1 just disappeared...

Show me a better lamp and I'll buy it
580smile.gif

Seriously, that Ikea lamp is just a perfect turntable lamp - small base, height-adjustable, does not introduce any noticeable AC noise (like some dimmer lamps).

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back