[PICS]HOLY !@#$!!! Super mega ultra killer KSC75 mod!!!![/PICS]
Apr 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Headphoneus Supremus
I am hearing it, but I still don't believe it. Behold in full 1600x1200 glory:

(click thumbnail to enlarge)

Before I get to the mods done, I will describe the sound, which I still do not believe. In short: Cold-sweat inducing amazing.

Longer description:
(Note: Sound is compared directly to already-kramer modded ksc75 and indirectly to rs-2)

It sounds simply amazing. The sense of "air" is stunning. I no longer hear congestion with more complex well recorded music. There is just a great sense of separation. Detail. Gobs of it. The bass is not boomy in the slightest. And the most apparent change: The midrange and upper midrange. It sounds like it is on caffeine, it's that energetic and engaging. It sounds like a veil was lifted. Vocals shine (male and female). Thats all I can say. I STILL can't believe how good it sounds. It's hard for me to hear any flaws with the sound. If I was nitpicking, all I could really say is that some passages with many high pitch instruments playing at once can sound a little thin. And so can the low bass (but is is tight and controlled). My RS-2 is in the shop under warranty, so I could not directly compare them, but if these ksc75s still sound this good when I get my RS-2 back, I might have to sell the RS-2. It is that good. I am not exaggerating.

In fact, I can no longer call them KSC75s. Behold, the KSC-003.

Now, instead of listing the mods I did, I will first let you try and guess. It is possible to guess from the picture.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 47
quarter mod
grill replacement mod
headband mod
and tape to the table mod

looks a lot like what I did to mine (see pic in signature under KSC75)

maybe next you could recable them?

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 47
Almost got it, but WHAT did I use for the grill mod?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost got it, but WHAT did I use for the grill mod?
very_evil_smiley.gif

some sort of steel mesh from the hardware store?

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 47
Laf that DAC looks similar to my Monarchy M24 I guess perhaps they shop for chassis from the same places ;p Ah looking more into it I guess they are both modded versions of another DAC? Makes sense.

Glad you like your modded KSC75s ;p

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh gods

THATS A K1000 GRILLE.

MURDERER!

I hope not otherwise we'll have to start an angry mob.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 47
recabling will certainly help with ksc75..

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wha? What does that do?

keeps you from moving your head?

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 47
x2 wanting to know what the grill material is and how to do that part of the mod.

Also, Kramer says he uses something different (something thicker) from the KSC75 stock pad for his version of the quarter mod. Anywhere to buy them? I'm sort've of the impression that they get some of their air from being spaced a little away from your ear -- an advantage that it seems would be lost by putting them on a headband. So a thicker pad might be necessary.

Anyways, been having thoughts about souping up my KSC75 lately...

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 47
Duggeh got it. I used a K1000 grill. Don't worry, though. They were already broken and I would have thrown them out if I didn't use them for something.

And FYI, for anybody that wants to try this, you can buy K1000 grilles from AKG, but they are rather expensive, at around $25 per grill (not per pair). I used two of them in total, but I was sloppy with the cutting. If I was neater, I might have been able to get away with one. Yes I have the cord taped to the cable as well, to make sure I don't ever pull the amp.

Also, don't know if anybody noticed, look carefully at the top of the headband
smily_headphones1.gif

And I retract my statement about thin low bass. It uses just the right amount of bass called for at any given moment. It will go deep. It will not assert it's presence when it is not called for.

EDIT:
Kramer uses KSC12 pads. I have a pair of KSC12s I ordered on e-bay on their way to try, but something tells me it will sound to thin if I try them with the grill mod.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

yeah noticed your headband is bended out. i was going to try it to mine but i think it's fine how it is.

how would you compare it to how the headband originally was?

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh gods

THATS A K1000 GRILLE.

MURDERER!

That just made my day.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

It looks like there's something written there, but it's too blurry for me to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back