Pico Vs Predator as DAC only - need advice
Mar 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GiR

100+ Head-Fier
I have read through countless threads at this stage on these two amp/dacs. However I could not find out the info I needed. I know they are both fantastically good for their price in terms of SQ and their Dac sections. However, I would be looking at using it as a dac only feeding into a Little Dot Mk III that I have on the way (I have no standalone dac (yet)).

As both of these little masterpieces are at a toss up on features, having little seperating them in quality, does anyone have any opinions on which would server me better from the sense of feeding the tube amp?

For info - Will be lossles coming from my pc and going to my DT770/250(2005)'s and I listen to a lot of music nowadays (been broadening my music library a bit lately) but still mainly rock/metal type stuff.

Any info or advice or comments welcome
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I have both and I think Pico's DAC is better than Predator is every aspect. Pico uses a very sophisticated DAC design while the predator is a pretty basic USB that all cheaper DACs use.

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Since you can't use these devices as a DAC only (you must go through the amp) ... It's not as simple as choosing which DAC is better. You must choose based on the DAC+amp pair.

The way I've mostly heard it put is that the Pico offers a neutral sound signature while the Predator has some added flavor a la the Hornet. It seems that it really pretty much comes down to preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back