pico vs mustang with decent source
Jan 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a comment that might even confuse you more. :p

I let one of my audiophile friend auditioned two amps he was eager to try, one was the Hornet and one was the Pico. He was looking for a suitable amp for his Sony A829 + Westone 3 too. After he tried out both, he was not impressed with both of it. He said that he still prefer the iQube amp that he tried before by a long shot. He said that the soundstage is obviously increased with the iQube and etc. I cant try it myself since I'm an unlucky guy who cant wear the Westone 3 no matter what tips I used(minus custom tips of course) So I cant give you my opinion

Anyway I hope this confuses you more lolx !!

Juz kidding, wish you luck in finding a good amp for pairing

that was nasty
tongue.gif
no wonder it sounded better with iqube; sony is too coloured allready to use with mustang->W3 IMO
tongue.gif
Iqube is a great amp, but some find it a little boring because its so transparent; almost not like you are using an amp at all. its also a bit expensive in the US and not so small either. great battery life, great transparency slick design though

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 46
Make the right choice. Spend your money by paying for better sound quality over the build quality. Remember, no one needs an amp "built like a tank". You're not gonna run over the amp with a car anyways. And even the headphone out of a laptop can drive a lot of headphones (including the R10's for all I care) "loud enough".

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 46
That makes things even more complicted
smily_headphones1.gif

one thing i know right now

DO NOT use westone 3 with audiotrak dr.dac 2 - sound was veeeeery muddy - and i thought it would be something more hmmm----spectacular?

guess not.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 46
Boy....if you need the DAC...go with the Pico. If not....I'd be all over the Mustang myself. I have no experience with the Mustang...but from all I've read...it's a beast.

But as one other person said...and it may seem crazy....but if you buy both, you can truly put them to the comparison test and judge for yourself which is the better of the two to your ears. Otherwise...it's pure speculation.

Again...selling one of them off won't likely cost you much in terms of a loss...and would be worth the peace of mine knowing you got the exact right amp for you.

RIDE

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make the right choice. Spend your money by paying for better sound quality over the build quality. Remember, no one needs an amp "built like a tank". You're not gonna run over the amp with a car anyways. And even the headphone out of a laptop can drive a lot of headphones (including the R10's for all I care) "loud enough".

hehe except maybe tank drivers
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe except maybe tank drivers
tongue.gif

well....except them allright
smily_headphones1.gif

seriously - when You all were starting hi-fi fun - were You so f$#%^$% confused as I am now?
ph34r.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

seriously - when You all were starting hi-fi fun - were You so f$#%^$% confused as I am now?
ph34r.gif

Nope. Most of us fell in the pitfalls of either;
A) Hype
B) Biased reviews due to reviewer's personal taste
C) Exaggerated details
D) Marketing strategies

And bought whatever we initially have/had based on those.

Yes we still do get those even in the serious Hi-fi world.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

ph34r.gif

nope I did the research and fortunately I picked well first time wit pico. not so well with picking triple-fi first, but thats the way it goes. you just gotta try them mate and see if you like it. once you do get something though have a look around and see if there are some members that feel the same about product X as you. then you can maybe look for their equipment that they have and research that. also if you have the chance I definitely recommend getting to a meet.

it gets to a point of overload doing the research. thats when its time to stop and just think about it and go with you gut. this stuff has pretty good resale so at worst you might lose 10% of you money and a bit of time, but you will have the experience that that was not the type of sound or gear that you like and you will know why and peoples opinions will start to make more sense to you.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 46
even us vets fall victim to the hype hey Zeph??
smily_headphones1.gif

in case you dont know I have Zephs W3 he bought them straight away before trying them based on reviews and didnt like them. lucky for me because I love'em
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 46
I have my W3 since couple days and via dr.dac as i've mentioned - it's muddy and with iaudio x5l + w3 it lacks detail for me. So where is the hidden potential i ask You?????? deeply inside i do believe thet it is somewhere deep....and it will see daylight when i get my hands on Qusps stuff and amp
atsmile.gif

everything people write here about portable gear seems quite clear now.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 46
what tips are you using on W3??

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what tips are you using on W3??

Silicone um56. They ARE best tips i've tested.But they are fragile as far as i know. I also have acrylic 56's but they aren't that remarkable [i mean sound from outside is more hearable ] as silicone ones.
They are easy to use and highly durable. Silicones have some problems at the beginning of usage [it is hard to fit them for some users ] and for 100% durability issue. It is only silicone and that material often gets hard and damages in the spot where You put IEM in. I am allmost sure that it is in that way because i often work with acryl and silicone. I am into dental care and the materials are two different ones - which i know quite well. Maybe i am wrong somewhere but i'm pretty sure that's the way it goes. Silicones are better for me.

Peace

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 46
I'm a new return head-fi fan. Why does one need DAC? For example I've a nice Ray Samuels SR-71, and I use it with a 4th gen. iPOD. I'd like new technology if it really gave bang for the buck improvement too my lossless iPOD , with SR-71 amplification. iMOD? Pico? Why DAC? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back