Pico vs Current Desktop Portable
May 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rgbyhkr

100+ Head-Fier
So, I was going to post this in the general forums but after doing searches, it seems that the desktop portable doesn't get too much talk there. So, I'd love to hear what Headroom lovers have to say about the Desktop Portable vs the Pico. Now, I have a Pico already and am aware of the differences between the 2 items. To me, one appeal of the DP is the additional digital inputs and what I perceive is a better ability of the DP to drive more demanding full size cans. I'm forward thinking specifically about the HD800s here and Tyll has already said he tested the DP at CES and it drive them just fine. There have been some suggestions that the Pico will be challenged to produce higher output levels.

That being said, the few comments I have seen about the Pico vs the DP seem to suggest that the Pico is a step above the DP, I think in specific relation to the DAC. I would love to hear folks comment on this aspect as well as any other comparisons between the 2 units. Thanks!

Jeff

May 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not sure I'm understanding the purpose of this post since you've said that you're already aware of the differences. Do you like people repeating what you already know? Since your other purpose is to "scout" for HD800 solutions, and no one has yet heard the HD800s with both (probably only Tyll with the Desktop Portable and no one I know with the pico). I'm not sure what you're looking for. As far as driveability goes, it looks like the HD800s are similar to the HD650s spec-wise, so I'm going to go with my standard, "why cripple reference quality headphones with portable amp solutions" when you don't have to, but I'm going to wait to actually hear them before I say anything at all. I'll be parked in the HeadRoom room at CanJam, and will also have a pico with me. We'll see.

May 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I'm understanding the purpose of this post since you've said that you're already aware of the differences. Do you like people repeating what you already know? Since your other purpose is to "scout" for HD800 solutions, and no one has yet heard the HD800s with both (probably only Tyll with the Desktop Portable and no one I know with the pico). I'm not sure what you're looking for. As far as driveability goes, it looks like the HD800s are similar to the HD650s spec-wise, so I'm going to go with my standard, "why cripple reference quality headphones with portable amp solutions" when you don't have to, but I'm going to wait to actually hear them before I say anything at all. I'll be parked in the HeadRoom room at CanJam, and will also have a pico with me. We'll see.

I should have been more clear. I meant I know about the spec/feature differences, but not enough about sound differences. I'm interested in hearing what folks who have heard both have to say. While I have searched the forums, I was not able to find much in the way of direct comparisons.

As for your mention of the desktop vs portable comment for amplification of high quality cans like the HD800, I agree. In this case, my goal is for usage in other rooms of the house where my home setup does not reside or for trips where I obviously won't be able to take my home rig along. That being said, I am also seriously looking into the Ultra Balanced stack to be a great SS alternative to the SDS-XLR rig I already have.

I hope this clarifies my curiosity. Obviously, given HR's generous return policy, I could just try it to see if I liked the result (and I may do that), but I was interested in hearing from folks who may have already done their own comparison.

Jeff

May 14, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 9
I do not own the HR DP, but I do own the Micro Stack and both the TAH and TBH. I also owned the Pico.

The ony real comparison I can draw is that my Micro Stack is much better than the Pico which I found to be a somewhat forward-sounding, constricted soundstage with diminished instrument separation amp. I prefer the highs with my HR and the bass is deeper and more clearly defined. The HR is faster with better attack. I notice no difference whatsoever in the DAC stage between the Pico and the HR. I use Senn HD600 and Denon D2000 and D5000. The HR drives them all without any problems with gobs of spare power. The Pico drove the Senn OK, but I felt it was straining to do so. I also feel the mids are really luscious on the HR.

Having said this, I can't help but feel the HR DP would most likely surpass the Pico. Besides, you will not find a better, more service and customer oriented group of people than you will at HR.

The Pico is very pretty, but very tiny. IMHO, too tiny!

May 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 9
As far as I understand the Pico has an all-in-one amp and buffer stage in the form of the AD8397 and in the HeadRoom lineup is most equivalent to the Micro Portable.

The Desktop Portable has a separate gain and buffer output stage that can provide more current, and due to the higher voltage rails of the two batteries can provide a larger voltage swing.

The HD800, at least from the impedance graph, is not a difficult headphone to drive, but it does require a lot of voltage swing. As far as I'm concerned, difficult means low impedance and low sensitivity, requiring the amp to provide high current to get anything out the other end. High voltage is not difficult to produce, assuming the power supply has sufficient voltage capacity in the first place.

The issue with the Pico relative to the Desktop Portable in this instance therefore is likely to be limited voltage swing, reducing dynamic range. The Desktop Portable has +/- 7.4V to play with (total swing of 14.8V) versus I am guessing around +/-3.7V (total 7.4V) for the Pico. Also the extra power available to the Desktop Portable allows a degree of class A biasing at all active stages, improving SQ IMO.

For reference, the Desktop Portable is roughly equivalent to the standard Micro Stack, with the battery supply giving lower voltage swing but cleaner, faster current supply.

May 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Those were both very good responses and were exactly what I was looking for. The technical details about the voltage swing are really interesting and make absolute sense. I think I will be getting a DTP to try for myself. Thanks folks.

Jeff

May 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 9
May 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the Pico is rated at ±8.0 volts (total swing of 16.0 volts). I have read that it does ±8.4 for a total of 16.8v. It also is almost 1W output at 0.7 watts rms.

HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (pico Portable Headphone Amp)

The DAC only version does ±4.5 volts.

I'm not sure that's correct. After a bit more looking around, the Pico runs off an 8.4V 2 cell battery. The 8.4V is the total from the two cells, in the same way that the HR batteries are 7.4V 2 cell batteries with each cell at a voltage of 3.7V.

The 0.7W rms figure refers to a 32ohm load. I suspect it is voltage limited before it is current limited, implying a much lower figure into 300-650 ohms, which is the HD800's impedance range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back