pico usb dap nirvana possible?
Feb 7, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

boggle

New Head-Fier
Don't know if this is already out there but I am currently dreaming of a portable rig that consists of a pico w/ USB dac plus a dap (maybe a Trekstor Vibez) that can play FLAC files via the USB port of the player.

This feels to me like it might just be a soft/firmware fix if it is not alrady possible. The sound quality would be as good as using the pico with the home PC - which sounds like it is right up there judging by coments around the place. If someone can confirm that this is possible I am going to break out the plastic and get on board!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by boggle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if this is already out there but I am currently dreaming of a portable rig that consists of a pico w/ USB dac plus a dap (maybe a Trekstor Vibez) that can play FLAC files via the USB port of the player.

This feels to me like it might just be a soft/firmware fix if it is not alrady possible. The sound quality would be as good as using the pico with the home PC - which sounds like it is right up there judging by coments around the place. If someone can confirm that this is possible I am going to break out the plastic and get on board!!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah it has been discussed - no portable player around with the capability, but there are very small (and expensive) laptop style devices that will do it... like the OQO...

This is an old model, but google will lead you to better info on it... OQO Model 01 - The Worlds Smallest Notebook Computer (pics)

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply. I don't get the difficulty with a dap having a usb out - it must be just software, they have the processing power and the memory. I reckon its one for the not too distant future. I'll be stoked if it comes about.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah I hope it does too... and I hope it's soon!

Most likely that if it does happen it will be a mod of some kind to an existing player. I would love to see a new iMod that bypasses everything inside the iPod and sends USB out straight from the drive.

C'mon Vinnie - CHALLENGE YOURSELF!!!

wink.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah that would be awesome. I had the same idea, except the OQO or any other small PCs are extremely expensive, and doesn't have very good battery life.

You could look at the Asus Eee PC, which is only $400, as a USB source.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I hope it does too... and I hope it's soon!

Most likely that if it does happen it will be a mod of some kind to an existing player. I would love to see a new iMod that bypasses everything inside the iPod and sends USB out straight from the drive.

C'mon Vinnie - CHALLENGE YOURSELF!!!

wink.gif

Thats the spirit! It has to happen, just a matter of when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back