Pico Slim w/ Hifiman HE-400? Better amp??
Jan 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

treyking11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! i recently icked up a nice pair of Hifiman HE-400's from a fellow head-fi'er and although i LOVE the sound, they are taking some time to adjust to (but thats another thread...). i noticed that although many have stated that they are easy to drive, i have a considerably harder time pushing these with my pico slim vs my grados or my bowers and wilkins. i am using a LOD from an ipod classic and the pico is at 90% volume to get it to play at a normal level. is there a better portable match for the HE-400's? size and $ are considerations... thanks in advance! Trey

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 13
Is there a reason you are trying to build a portable solution with the HE-400? In every which way, the thing is not really made to go running around with.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 13
I like the ALO National with the HE-400 for a transportable setup with an LOD directly out of my IPOD classic.  It reminds me of listening to my WA6 with the HE-400.  The National needs to be on High Gain though or it runs into the same volume limitations as your Pico Slim.

Also be aware the ALO National is big for a portable.  It runs $300 new and about $200 on the used market.

My preferred setup is Ipod Touch -> CLAS Solo -> RSA SR-71B for a transportable setup with the HE-400.

My RSA Hornet makes the HE-400 too bright for me.  I probably would not use an with ALO MKii either as it tends to be on the bright side as well.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 13
  I like the ALO National with the HE-400 for a transportable setup with an LOD directly out of my IPOD classic.  It reminds me of listening to my WA6 with the HE-400.  The National needs to be on High Gain though or it runs into the same volume limitations as your Pico Slim.

Also be aware the ALO National is big for a portable.  It runs $300 new and about $200 on the used market.

My preferred setup is Ipod Touch -> CLAS Solo -> RSA SR-71B for a transportable setup with the HE-400.

My RSA Hornet makes the HE-400 too bright for me.  I probably would not use an with ALO MKii either as it tends to be on the bright side as well.

thanks alot for the input. the pico brings out the brightness as well in the HE-400 i think. i also use an ibasso DX50 w/ no amp and benefit from the high gain setting. the pico's only only switch is on/off, so no luck there! great little amp though.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 13

Is there a reason you are trying to build a portable solution with the HE-400? In every which way, the thing is not really made to go running around with.

you are right. when i say portable i mean different rooms in the house; i dont take them out...

You seem to have the same usage as I do--prefer portable/transportable, even for home use.  What's your budget?  I have the ALO Rx MKIII-B & I'd imagine that could driver the majority of headphones w/ no issues.  I also just got a Vorzuge Pure II, and I'm curious to see what it will be able to drive w/ any kind of authority (& plenty of headroom for dynamics).

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 13
hey. my budget is around $250-300, and i understand that i will most likely have to find a good deal on a second hand piece. the 400's sound fine (to me) with the slim, but with the volume at >90%, i wonder if it is driving them like they should be driven. there isnt a lot left on the table...   your ALO is a nice unit, i would imagine that it would make these orthos sing!!

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 13
  The Pico Slim is designed for IEMs and some sensitive headphones. I would use the Pico Power with the HE-400

^ this.  You'd not going to do better in the context of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back