Pico Portable Amp or Fiio E9 for K702 - is it fair to compare?
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gustav29

Head-Fier
I'm about to buy the Pico but have been reading a lot that the Fiio E9 drives the K702s really well...Should I even be comparing these two?  The Pico is about $250 more.  I also will be using this to drive my other cans, AKG K272s, Beyer DT-831s and Sens HD580.

So like I stated I'm ready to buy the Pico - just got doubted a bit after reading abou the Fiio E9 and its ability to drive the K702.
Convince me that the Pico is the way to go please.  

Thanks

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Its whatever sounds best to your ears
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Decided in the end to go with the Matrix M-Stage. Felt the M-Stage was going to deliver the most power to the K702s over the pico and E9.  

I hope you enjoy it. My personal philosophy is to stick with easily-driven-cans-that-do-benefit-from-amping over hard-to-drive-cans-that-demand-a-big-amp. My first serious purchase was the K601 - it was only when I bought the MS1 that I could see the error of my ways.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey gustav29! i am stuck between the E9 and the matrix M-stage to power the akg K702's!  So as you have bought the matrix, can i ask how it performs? is it better/worse than you expected?
thank you :)  im also planning to connect the e9 or the matrix m-stage to the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 10
And btw im confused... i know the cambridge dac connects to my pc by USB, would i then connect the m-stage amp to the cambridge dac with rca to rca (phono cables).

so dac to amp with phono cables right?

thanks,
chris

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 10
I went with the Matrix and am very happy.  I think the K702s benefit very well by this mid line desk amp.  I use at home as a portable.  Bring it from 1 room to another for listening sometimes, just make sure there a cord lying around for me to plug it in.  Sound stage is wider for me than what I had before. At first I didn't really notice this - its not like you plug it in and are blown away by a massive sound difference.  But after a week of using the M-stage and then going back to my older portable amp I noticed a wider sound stage, a bit warmer presence and I love the fact that I don't have to really crank the volume up to get a  lot of detail.  Its all there at lower levels.  If you go with the m-stage just check the thread and apply the recommended gain levels for it and you'll be happy. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back