PICO DAC vs standalone CDP
Nov 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
Dear headfi users.

I have for 3 years try to make my laptop a good source for music. I have been armed with AKG K 701 headphones, using analog out, using analog out + X-can V2, X-can V3, X-can V8. I have used Yulong Lehmann clone with integrated DAC. I have tried TDA1543 USB NOS dac. I have tried MF X-DAC V3 dac using optical out from Creative X-FI. I have used foobar and Asio. I have tried XP, XP 64 and Vista OS. I am now building a desktop computer as the laptop in overall might be problem??

Still, I have never ever been able to replicate the lush and really musical experience that I got from even a cheapish Sony DVD player(playing audio cds) hooked up to any of those amps. The difference is not subtle. CDP does everything better.

I am not sure what is causing the standalone CDPs to always sound better. The magic and 3d dimensionality is really 'lost' when using computer, even with USB. Some people tell me to go via Offramp USB, but too expensive, and it still might not cure it.

So I am now wondering if I should scrap the computer dream and just get a simple source. I have heard Asus Xonar Essence really matches well with AKG K 701...

anyways, over to my questions: The new Pico DAC via USB. Does it sound as a standalone CDP? Has anyone compared?? Does it bring life to the music? Is it soft and warm and magical, or kinda superdetailed, harsh?? My biggest problem has been that music in general is fatuiging and sharp when not using CDP.

Please reply.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back