Pico/DAC/MacBook Pro Problems
Jan 19, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done already. Does not fix the problem. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my laptop only has 2 usb ports, and one I use through a hub.

Are you using ASIO4All?

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a guess but I think the problem was he still had the iPod plugged into the Pico. Plugging a cable into the mini input automatically selects that as the input

Justin was great. He responded to my PM immediately. He helped me solve my problem. However, the problem was me. Even Justin can't help me with that. That was the problem, as he describes it.

:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done already. Does not fix the problem. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my laptop only has 2 usb ports, and one I use through a hub.

FWIW I use my Pico with a 4 port hub with no problems.

IMG_1293.jpg

Comical isn't it
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 22
Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread because I am having a USB-related problem with my Pico. Until recently, I used the Pico on my Thinkpad laptop via direct USB output. It worked flawlessly.

I just switched to a MacBook Air, which has only one USB port. I'm forced to use a (powered) USB hub. Now, audio from the DAC cuts out after only a few seconds, usually when I switch applications from iTunes to something else.

I have to quit iTunes and reset the sound from USB audio DAC to built-in output, back to USB audio DAC, and then restart iTunes for it to work again. But by then, iTunes has either frozen, or the audio cuts out after a few seconds again.

The Pico seems to work fine if I run it directly from the sole USB port (without the hub).

Is it true that the Pico should work when connected to a hub? Do I have a faulty hub? Or is something else wrong? Please advise! Thanks.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 22
When you say 'powered', do you mean it's powered by USB or does it have a discrete AC/DC adapter? Bear in mind that if it's the former, the Macbook's USB port may not have enough power to drive a hub AND your DAC connected to it. That seems more likely since you don't have an issue w/ the direct connection.

I've had a USB HDD that come w/ dual USB connections because it needs 2 USB to power it. I've also had some USB HDDs that need a REALLY short USB cable because my Macbook couldn't power it with a long cable.

I've seen this problem w/ many USB hubs. Some can power well, some can't. The only solution is to have a USB hub that has a discrete power source. Note that the Air was decided for size and cost. It's highly likely that the USB port can't source enough current to drive multiple devices (your hub is a device).

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 22
I meant that it was powered separately, via a discrete source. At least, I think it is. The reason I'm not sure is that the hub is built into my external monitor, and the monitor itself is powered. So I was assuming that the monitor was also driving the built-in hub via shared power. That may not actually be the case, however.

Anyway, I just ordered a standalone USB hub with its own dedicated power and I'll see how that works out...

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back