Pico - can it drive AKG 701s well?
Jun 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I'm spurning the notion of putting the money I would save from not upgrading the cable towards a desktop amp of equal value is that I want an amp that matches the quality of the rest of my system.

The Pico is mainly for 'on the go' audio but I need something to plug in to my stereo. I would like to get a decent desktop amp at the end of the year (circa $500 - $1000) and thus want a very good pair of headphones that will scale up accordingly.

Well the Pico is $300 without the DAC and then with an aftermarket cable around $300 so it would equal $600.00. Not sure if you are looking at a SS or tube amp. It seems you may have had your mind set on what you were going to do before you started the thread. Well, either way best of luck on your search.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

The reason I'm spurning the notion of putting the money I would save from not upgrading the cable towards a desktop amp of equal value is that I want an amp that matches the quality of the rest of my system.

The Pico is mainly for 'on the go' audio but I need something to plug in to my stereo. I would like to get a decent desktop amp at the end of the year (circa $500 - $1000) and thus want a very good pair of headphones that will scale up accordingly.

Yes, that's exactly my point. The K701 scale excellently, and the cable has no effect on that (ie. it doesn't scale better with the cable or worse without it). It scales well with better amps.

Unless you absolutely need it for portable use (and I can't imagine why you would), there doesn't seem to be any reason to go this route.

I'm sorry if I sound blunt or dismissive or anything, but this seems really silly to me. Cables are the very last thing you should think about upgrading, if at all.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 22
Some of you seem to have misunderstood my purpose here.

I'll be using the Pico with my Shure SE-530s connected to my Discman on the go.

I'll also use the Pico connected to my CD player and turntable at home.

For the latter is why I ask about the Pico drving the 701s.

In regards to cabling, I have very good cables on my source components and I don't want to lessen the quality of the signal by skimping on the final run, i.e. the headphone's cables.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

In regards to cabling, I have very good cables on my source components and I don't want to lessen the quality of the signal by skimping on the final run, i.e. the headphone's cables.

Well, the Pico's amp section will lessen the quality of the signal more than anything else in your CD or turntable system. It's a fine amp for general amping purposes but it really doesn't compare at all to HeadAmp's Gilmore Lite which doesn't cost that much more. And do your "very good cables" include an RCA-mini interconnect? The Pico has only a mini-plug input.

And whether you use an aftermarket cable or not, the K701 headphone cable will probably wind up terminated to a 1/4" plug, so you'd have to use a 1/4"-mini adapter, which is another piece in the signal chain.

It sounds like you don't need the Pico's DAC or even its size, have you looked into an AE-2 instead? Its battery runs longer, it has RCA input, and its larger size makes it easier to operate.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 22
The Pico is already ordered (without the DAC as I don't need it at all). I didn't buy the for the express purpose of home use. It's only a stop gap.

As for the cable questions, I plan to have the AKGs terminated in a 3.5mm plug. I will also have a high quality mini-to-RCA cable to plug into the Pico.

Like I said, if I can get the cash together I'll by a good home amp at the end of the year.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Some of you seem to have misunderstood my purpose here.

I'll be using the Pico with my Shure SE-530s connected to my Discman on the go.

Ah, I see. Well, the Pico will be a good placeholder. Does your discman not power your SE530s adequately?

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 22
It's OK but it's a bit opaque. It needs a bit of 'oomph'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back