pickup up a 512MB ipod shuffle yesterday
Apr 12, 2005 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

schapman

100+ Head-Fier
and I gots to say... I'm actually impressed. I wasnt expecting much as I was just looking for a cheap flash based mp3 player to run with.

Pros:
- Sounds quite nice actually. I figured it'd be pretty weak, but the stock buds aren't as bad as I was expecting (almost good), and it can drive my ms-1s with no problems at all.
- Form Factor/Weight. Its bloody tiny and light. Kept it under my shirt while runnign last night and didnt even notice it was there
- Itunes Autofill: Made some playlists of different varieties of music, and jsut whacked autofill. Got 82 tracks on my first go.. not bad

Cons:
- Power button/slider. Most of the controls on the shuffle are easy to use, but I find that the slider on the back is a bit of a pain as its just flat plastic and theres no real "click" for each setting.
- Not a USB mass storage device. This doesnt bother me too much as I'll just keep using itunes or the winamp plugin to fill it. However, it's still a bitch that I can't just drag my files to it in explorer.

Overall:
Considering it only cost me $129CAD+ tax (148) for a 512MB mp3 player that has surprisingly good sound. I'd recommend it. I've already got a usb keychain for storage so i'll be using it only for music. The only other choice would have been the creative Muvo Mix (512MB) for 109CAD. There was just something about the ipod shuffle that made me want it more though. Maybe it has something to do with my deep desire for a powerbook and some osx tiger
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman
Cons:
- Power button/slider. Most of the controls on the shuffle are easy to use, but I find that the slider on the back is a bit of a pain as its just flat plastic and theres no real "click" for each setting.
- Not a USB mass storage device. This doesnt bother me too much as I'll just keep using itunes or the winamp plugin to fill it. However, it's still a bitch that I can't just drag my files to it in explorer.

-I tried out the shuffle the other day, and I sort of wish the slider had some sort of grip on it. It's more aesthetically pleasing the way it is now I suppose.
-I can't believe it can't be used as storage. From Apple site: Quote:

You can even transfer non-music files to open on another computer...

You have to use iTunes software to xfer non-music data on and off the shuffle?

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 10
well.. you can see it as a usb drive in windows. So I'm assuming you could copy data to it. Maybe itunes is just required for audio transfer. Didnt play with it long enough last night to try.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

well.. you can see it as a usb drive in windows. So I'm assuming you could copy data to it. Maybe itunes is just required for audio transfer. Didnt play with it long enough last night to try.

Correct - you can only play audio files on a shuffle that were transferred via iTunes (or other music software). You can drag and drop other file types, but they cannot be accessed by the Shuffle itself.

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 10
I too picked up a Shuffle. I also wasn't expecting a whole lot. I just wanted something to run with and MTB. I am really, impressed by it. I agree with the slider, could use a little grip. Not much to complain about. One of my better audio buys. Oh yeah it sounds good too.

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 10
no playlist support?

Apr 13, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 10
No playlist in it. What I've done is just make a few playlists with different genres of music (rock, classical). Then i just go to the ipod (in itunes), and autofill->from the playlist. So when I'm running and want something upbeat, I jsut autofill from the rock or electronica section. It just rando-selects tracks and fills it up for me.

And I must admit, itunes isn't all that bad so I don't mind using it.

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

No playlist in it. What I've done is just make a few playlists with different genres of music (rock, classical). Then i just go to the ipod (in itunes), and autofill->from the playlist. So when I'm running and want something upbeat, I jsut autofill from the rock or electronica section. It just rando-selects tracks and fills it up for me.

And I must admit, itunes isn't all that bad so I don't mind using it.

Thats what I do too. I have basically quit carrying my 60 gig ipod around. Thats kind of a shame since I have so much money into it. (60gig photo>sr-71)

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 10
hehe, me too.. i have a 40GB photo, and i rarely take it out of the house now.. but of course, that's where i keep all of my music, so even when i'm filling up my Shuffle, my photo is still serving it's purpose.. and when i got out of town, it goes with me, so it's still a valuable asset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back