Picks: HD 650 VS. SA5000 VS. DT880
Aug 5, 2005 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Think Hi

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to head-fi. I have been mostly reading from head-fi for tips and reviews on headphones. Now I can't decide what to get and need your audiophillie super help. I'm getting a new headphone and I'm down with these three headphones that I like and can't decide which.
1. Sennheiser 650
2. Sony SA 5000
3. Beyer DT880

I heard a lot of good thing about the 650.,but...and correct me if I'm wrong, I think the SA5000 is still kind of new so not many people have them to compare with the others? Anyways I would really like to hear pros/cons and opinions from people who owns at least two of the Cans(mainly Hd650 & SA5000), but any help is appreciated. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 28
Hi Think Hi,

Before others chime in on your thread, there will be many who will urge you to use the search function. Look out...
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to own all three of the headphones you listed, and IMHO, the sound signature of DT880 sits in between SA5000 and HD650 in terms of forwardness and brightness.

SA5000 is extremely detailed, fast headphone with tight bass but might be a bit bright for some.

DT880 is detailed, forward, and has good treble extension without being shrill, bass is lean but accurate.

As for HD650, there are many and many reviews out there...

Will be good if you can tell us what kind of music you listen to, and what's these headphones are intended to be used, home or portable. Are you going to get an amp for your headphones too?

Best of luck,

Overlunge

p.s. Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 28
This isn't something you can really decide without having listened for yourself. When I started, I thought I wanted things like, smooth musicality, richness of sound. Words like bright, detailed were kind of bad words for me. So I thought I was happy with the HD600, but eventually found I preferred a more textured, transparent, tight and punchy approach.

In other words, words aren't that big of a help unless you really know what they mean to you.

Good luck - each of those phones are highly regarded. Just buy all of them.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 28
Yes..I did try searching; heard plenty on the HD 650, but can't find much on the SA5000...thanks for the warning anyways
tongue.gif
I like to listen to all kinds of music. (prefer pop/rock) I'm planning to get an amp in the future. $$
rolleyes.gif
Thanks for being so kind and helpful Jason and Overlunge!( and funny ^^)
600smile.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 28
I had a chance to rehash my memory of SA5000 last night, and I found the experience was similar to what I remembered about them. If you like to pick out details such as a cough, talking, or things dropping, those extreme details, they are the right headphones for you. It reproduce music with speed, and it's forward, upfront with the sound. Some found them too bright, IMHO, that's record dependent. Some said the bass was lacking, however, for me it controlled and clnical.

Very good for electronic music and maybe pop musics. You should try to get to a meet or something to have a listen for yourself.

Overlunge

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 28
Just make sure you read carefully, most of the reviews on the hd 650 are with a cable upgrade which will add around $150 (475 total if you shop around) makeing almost double the beyers ($230) and slightly more expensive then the sa5000 (400ish). Your best bet is to AUDITION as many phones as you can. BTW the beyers IMO is supremely more comfortable than the other two and with a VERY solid build, however only very briefly listened to the 3.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 28
All three phones are well respected around here so you know you aren't getting a dud atleast. If you can't fully decide based on research just get one and if you don't like it you could sell/trade for one of the others. Based on your preference though (pop/rock) the SA5Ks would be the one to try first IMO.

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
Kind of silly, maybe?
I mean how many people have heard all three phone enough to have a valid opinion?
600smile.gif

What are you talking about? If someone brings cheese pizza to a meet (so any REAL toppings won't won't influence sound comparisons), then 1 second with each headphone would be enough. Well, maybe not if there isn't enough people talking about how Diana Krall's legs image so well with high-end equipment in the background...

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
Kind of silly, maybe?
I mean how many people have heard all three phone enough to have a valid opinion?
600smile.gif

I said at least TWO of the phones.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
You can find various info on the SA5000 here

Yeah I looked at the thread before....mostly about the pros of the phone, as it is a "SA5000 appreication" thread. But thanks anyways. I guess I really need to audition these phones for myself.

Thanks for all the help guys, extremely appreicated
orphsmile.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 28
Well if you are into rock and pop then the Grado 325i or 225 might be the right choice. Or the RS1s. Otherwise for rock I would go with the SA5000 over the HD650. That is with the Zu Mob. cable. But I still perfer the SA5000. Both are really good headphones. Right now I am listening to some Diana Krall, and I using the HD650s.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I've actually owned all three headphones at some point and the 650's are the only one of the three that I still own.

Me too, but I still own the RS-1s and SA5000, and sold the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back