Picking the right headphones
Aug 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

James Myers

Head-Fier
So I got a pair of K7XX from massdrop, and even though I like them overall, the sibilance is driving me crazy, especially with female vocalists.  Sure, I can EQ it (to some extent) but it distort the overall sound too much.  I'm running it through an e10k ATM, and it doesn't do much to help with the sibilance.  I've also been trying to burn them in with pink noise.  A few alternate phones I'm considering (PS I'm not a basshead, so if any of these has more bass than the K7XX, lemme know):

Mayflower Fostex T50RP
Sennheiser HD600
Beyerdynamic DT880
Philips X2-27 Fidelio
Hifiman HE 400s/normal
Audiotechnica 900x
Grados SR325e

I might keep the same Dac/amp combo, but I'm also considering Massdrops' O2 deal (I'm a sucker for those damn deals!)

So basically I'm looking for a similar pair, without the excessive sibilance.  As a frame of reference I have a pair of JBL LSR305s, which sound pretty awesome to me.  

My budget is in the mid-fi range, although I wouldn't be opposed to spending a few bucks on something if it was really worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 4
  So I got a pair of K7XX from massdrop, and even though I like them overall, the sibilance is driving me crazy, especially with female vocalists.  Sure, I can EQ it (to some extent) but it distort the overall sound too much.  I'm running it through an e10k ATM, and it doesn't do much to help with the sibilance.  I've also been trying to burn them in with pink noise.  A few alternate phones I'm considering (PS I'm not a basshead, so if any of these has more bass than the K7XX, lemme know):

Mayflower Fostex T50RP
Sennheiser HD600
Beyerdynamic DT880
Philips X2-27 Fidelio
Hifiman HE 400s/normal
Audiotechnica 900x
Grados SR325e

I might keep the same Dac/amp combo, but I'm also considering Massdrops' O2 deal (I'm a sucker for those damn deals!)

So basically I'm looking for a similar pair, without the excessive sibilance.  As a frame of reference I have a pair of JBL LSR305s, which sound pretty awesome to me.  

My budget is in the mid-fi range, although I wouldn't be opposed to spending a few bucks on something if it was really worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming that your upline equipment and source is not the cause or contributor to your problem, you are especially sensitive to treble.  Especially in such a situation, there is not substitute for listening to each can--preferably coupled to the equipment you will be using--yourself.

That said, the HD 600 & 650 (which has more bass in its sound signature) is a good place to start.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 4

Assuming that your upline equipment and source is not the cause or contributor to your problem, you are especially sensitive to treble.  Especially in such a situation, there is not substitute for listening to each can--preferably coupled to the equipment you will be using--yourself.

That said, the HD 600 & 650 (which has more bass in its sound signature) is a good place to start.

Yes I probably am sensitive to treble, its been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.  My setup goes USB -->E10k-->K7XX.  I've tried multiple USB ports, all sound the same.  The recording doesn't matter either, it's there with lossless files and streaming on youtube alike.   I play the K553 (like I said I'm a sucker for massdrop deals lol) through the same set up, and although there is a bit of sibilance, it's not the same punch you in the face sibilance as the K7XX.  Hell I've even ran my studio monitors through the headphone jack on the e10k with no problems.  

I suppose I'll have to take a trip to try out the Sennheiser HD600/650s.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 4
Getting a more forgiving headphone like the HD 650 will help, but EQ can do amazing things for any headphone.

Try these guides sometime:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Here is an interesting software solution as well:
http://www.sonarworks.com/headphones/overview

Users who are viewing this thread

Back