picking out a multimeter
Mar 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
Between work and DIY projects, I need to get my hands on a solid digital multimeter, and i've narrowed it down to a few, but i could use some input on the final choice

I'd like to stick around $200, but if something really shows its worth, I might be persuaded to spend more, I'd like to have basic RMS meter functions plus capacitance, temp, continuity, and auto ranging would be nice, but not necessary

first candidate - extech mp530 ($160), i've used a few higher end extech's with good results in the past, this being one of them
http://www.extech.com/instrument/pro...10-520-530.pdf

agilent 1242a ($220) - looks promising, but i'd like to have 0.01mv accuracy, then again it might be to much to ask in this price range
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/lit...989-7040EN.pdf

Fluke 189 (or some other model) - i'm sure many of you are familiar with the fluke line, lots of good choices, but the high cost (not a big fan of buying used) is a bit of a turnoff.

anyone with experience with these meters care to lend a suggestion?

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 12
A good used Fluke or HP/Agilent benchtop meter can probably be had within your price range and will offer much better accuracy and speed than you could ever hope for from any handheld meter, let alone one in your budget. If accuracy is your goal, you won't do better. But why is that your goal; it's certainly not too useful for most projects Head-Fiers would be interested in. All I can think of is hardcore resistor matching, where you'd want a benchtop meter for sure.

If it's a suitable option for your workspace, I would seriously consider it. Look at models like Fluke 45, 8840a, 8842a. HP 3457a is getting on the old side, but it's a very capable (and physically large) meter.

I would spend my money on the Fluke or the Agilent of the ones you're looking at. I would also consider the Fluke 77, which is closer to your price range and more comparable to the performance of the Agilent. Not that Extech is a bad company, but both Fluke and HP/Agilent are proven names that you can trust.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 12
well, i think i'll be hunting down a 189 on ebay

but has anyone seen its replacement, the 287/289? looks to be a great meter, 0.025% accuracy

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 12
quick question for fluke 189 users, do you use the datalogging much?

a friend of a coworker is getting out of the electronics field and has a barely used 187 that he may part with for 125 bucks, just curious is the added features of the 189 would be worth the extra $75 bucks

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 12
My 189 has a near-useless IR interface for data download. Also, you have to use special software to catch the data. I see online that there is a USB adapter available, but I don't know if this is just an IR to USB transceiver or if it only works on later versions of the 189.

Anyway, I never did use the data logging feature with it. If you want data logging, get something more made for the purpose, particularly if it has something like a web interface so you don't need special software to access the data.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 12
I used the data logging once to test it out, and that's it. I just use scratch paper or a text editor if I need to record values at different times or test points. If you can get it cheaper, by all means go with the 187. The 189 is just a lot more common so it's easier to pick and choose good deals.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 12
I have a 187 that I picked up used for 150ish on ebay last year. Its a great unit and if you could get one for 125 I would say jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back