Picking a source and amp to use with Senn' HD650s
Aug 11, 2006 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Naoko

New Head-Fier
Good afternoon,

I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD650s the other day, which I'm over the moon with except for one thing - They highlight the utter inability of my current setup:

Sony CDPXE 530 and Sony TAFE330 with the interconnects that came in the box.

I'm going to take the plunge and update my CD player and Amp - I have about £700 (€1000 or $1300) to spend but would pay more if I can really hear the difference.

I've read that the x-can v3 is meant to be a good match for the 650s but are there any other amps (I'd prefer integrated really) that work particularly well with my cans?

Assuming I go with an integrated amp, rather than a headphone amp. Would something like Project's headbox be a better option than the headphone jack in the amp?

The Cambridge Azur range is also meant to be fairly impressive, so I was going to test that as well as a Cyrus CD6s (although that's more than I'd really like to spend).

Is there any kit in particular you could recommend?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being a newbie.

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 3
I have the Xcan V2 and a Marantz CD63KI sig for my 650's.
The cyrus CD player is great and their amps (have a cyrus 7) have nice headphone outputs (round the back but operated by a button on the front, and they have a lot of power).

The feeling I get is that HD580/600/650 are so good that it is hard to know where to stop with the sources. I have had my setup for many years but I really would like a better cd player.

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 3
I also have a v2 and it sounds superb with 650s, indeed you will find if you upgrade to a seperate headphone amp that it will be very revealing of shortcomings upstream. Go with an MF, your senns deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back