picking a new pair of hp
Jul 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aydar

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I’ve been looking for a new pair of headphones for a while now. Decided to create separate topic, because I pretty much didn’t find anyother that would answer my doubts.

Basicialy I’m looking for a closed (open also, that’s not a must) headphones for not much more than 100$. Let say 130-140$ max, I’m a working student and it’s really hard to save some money for stuff I want.

The problem is, I’m from Poland and it’s pretty hard to get every model of headphones here, the price may very wary on what’s in uk/us. (eg Audio-Technica ATH-ES7A are 100$ on ebay, but like 200$+ here)

I’m listening mainly to rock/metal (like Tool, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Katatonia, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, Placebo, Faith No More), but also bands like (Death in Vegas, Massive Attack, God Is An Astronaut, The Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk, Portishead).

As you can see, all around headphones would suit me the best, but I’m having hard time picking one of off the list, no decent shop around here that would have many models that I could listen to.

My mp3 player is Cowon Iaudio i7.
I don’t own an amp.

Some models I was considering:

Grado sr60 (around 120$)
Sennheiser hd215 (around 63$)
Sonny mdr v6 (around 110$)

These 3 are easy to get here.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon, no amp, i'd say get the Grado SR60's.

And if I were to get amp (no idea which one) your opinion would change?

Also, anything wrong with the player?

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
considering you may want to go portable, a closed headphone really is a plus. I'm sure if you search US websites you can find the ES7 for less than $100+shipping. beachcamera.com gets mentioned often as trusted website (no experience myself!) and has those for $85.

I've checked it, I don't think they ship outside US.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 12
considering you may want to go portable, a closed headphone really is a plus. I'm sure if you search US websites you can find the ES7 for less than $100+shipping. beachcamera.com gets mentioned often as trusted website (no experience myself!) and has those for $85.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 12
No my mind wouldn't change. I've only owned 6 pairs of Sony's in my time, and they all suck in comparison to their competitors, so i have no love for Sony. For me, Sony's name should be mud!

The HD215's which I have owned in the past, are all show and little go... especially in the bass department. That's not fair really, I did like them, but they were huge for no apparent reason, the quality was a bit, skullcandy really.

I would put either the Sony or Senn's in the same league as the GRado's anyway... and you've got three different types of headphones.

open audiophile - Grado

Closed dj - Sennheiser

Closed studio - Sony

the three are not going to do the same job. But i'd still go for the Grado's

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 12
No my mind wouldn't change. I've only owned 6 pairs of Sony's in my time, and they all suck in comparison to their competitors, so i have no love for Sony. For me, Sony's name should be mud!

The HD215's which I have owned in the past, are all show and little go... especially in the bass department. That's not fair really, I did like them, but they were huge for no apparent reason, the quality was a bit, skullcandy really.

I would put either the Sony or Senn's in the same league as the GRado's anyway... and you've got three different types of headphones.

open audiophile - Grado

Closed dj - Sennheiser

Closed studio - Sony

the three are not going to do the same job. But i'd still go for the Grado's

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 12
I wouldn't buy audiotechnicas off of ebay. a lot of them tend to be fake. grados are not a good value to import to poland. go for the ms-1 it'll be cheaper than the sr60 and sound a lot better if you want to go that route

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy audiotechnicas off of ebay. a lot of them tend to be fake. grados are not a good value to import to poland. go for the ms-1 it'll be cheaper than the sr60 and sound a lot better if you want to go that route

Agreed on both counts. AT have been seriously breeched when it comes to counterfeit gear.

Alessandro for anyone outside the U.S. should be on your shopping list instead of the SR60's ... SR80 and maybe even the SR1215's. I rang Alessandro and they told me that the MS-1's flt between the SR80 and SR125 (thought they would say that).

The best thing about Alessandro is that they ship for free anywhere around the world, and I mean anywhere.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed on both counts. AT have been seriously breeched when it comes to counterfeit gear.

Alessandro for anyone outside the U.S. should be on your shopping list instead of the SR60's ... SR80 and maybe even the SR1215's. I rang Alessandro and they told me that the MS-1's flt between the SR80 and SR125 (thought they would say that).

The best thing about Alessandro is that they ship for free anywhere around the world, and I mean anywhere.

Had no idea they ship for FREE and ANYWHERE.

Thank you!

Will order them when my payday is here.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Yep, certainly. Of course they sound better with an amp, but they sound perfectly good out of an MP3 player or other DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back