Pickin out a pair
Dec 15, 2006 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rob187

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first pair of real headphones. Up till now I've been using my ipod with the ipod phones. I've been pleased with it, so I'm sure any improvement is good. I was originally gonna drop 350 on the Bose QC3, but decided to look at what else is out there. After reading here it seems I can probably get a better pair for less. So, help me out a bit.

The majority of what I listen to is rock (classic, acoustic, folk, alt) and some jazz. I'm looking to spend 300 or less. I'm looking for something mainy to listen to at home so portability isn't too important.

The senneheisers looked interesting but everyone says they're not good for rock- is that true for all the models?

The Grado's also look good but I'm not sure which model would be the best.

And I don't have an Amp, although I could see myself getting one in the future.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Witout an amp ... Grado SR225s should fit your needs!

John
rs1smile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 7
They're the adjustment rods. Grados are some funky designs that I don't find uncomfortable (at least up to SR225), but they won't stay on your head if you like to do a lot of head bopping.

Since you like jazz and accoustic, I will give a shout out for Sennhieser (ok, I'm part of team Sennheiser!). If you don't want to go with an amp, think of the HD595. They're very well balanced, and stay on your head with however much headbanging you do! The HD595s are great all rounders that scale up with source upgrades. They can handle all rock: except without a powerful amp, Grados have the upperhand with metal and certain hard rock genres. Senns are much better for accoustic and jazz because they are balanced in the bass and have a soundstage.

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your input. I made it to the store today and was able to try out the 225's and HD650. I vastly prefferred the 225's, they sounded crisper. When I put the Senns on it reminded me of putting a seashell up to my ear, I heard the echo and everything even when the music was on. I guess you get used to it but I still preferred the Grados.

I'm now just researching a good soundcard to get for my laptop so if you got any suggestions let me know. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Did the audio store also have the HD595? The 595 is different then the 650, and sounds better on most begining setups. It's an inbetween from the SR225 and HD650. But if you like the SR225, then go for it! The Sound Blaster X-Fi gets a lot of good reviews here, as well as Julie soundcards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back