Picked up the Shure SE-115 today...
May 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

scottyb06

Head-Fier
...and am VERY surprised. Currently, my primary set of phones are the Klipsch Image X10s which I've had for about a month and absolutely love. Prior to that, I had the Bose Tri-Port and Shure SE-210 phones. I liked the Bose overall, but eventually wanted some phones which isolated sound (which the Bose do not). The SE-210s sounded good, but lacked pretty much ANY bass whatsoever. I have an M&K MX350 sub at home and am very used to deep, powerful bass. The 210s sounded like listening to a nice system with only an 8" woofer. I then upgraded to the Klipsch and love just about everything about them (except for the flimsy cable they come with). Great sound and extreme comfort. So, I was on a search for a pair of secondary phones to use when I'm not in the office (I like to simply keep my iPod and X10s there and not have to bring them home every day). I read that the new SE-115s have improved bass quality over the SE-110s (realzing that I had the 210s, not the 110s) but was very hesitant due to my bad experience with the 210s. Much to my surprise, they sound like a totally different set of phones
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking for 1) comfort (which the olive tips provide), 2) good isolation (which the olive tips also provide), and 3) quality sound with deep bass. The 115s offer all three. Consider me a happy camper!
dt880smile.png

May 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 18
If you have the 210's still, try it with a fiio amp.

May 12, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 18
Got these today, and I have to say they are quite good for the money.

Not the fastest, not the most clear, but good overall. Good soundstage. Great build quality and great isolation. For anyone with $100 to blow on IEMs, I highly recommend checking these out.

These are a departure from Shure's house sound - more bass (and seems like more treble?) than my previous SE530. FWIW: I tend to like warmer/bassier sound signatures.

I bought these while waiting for my IE8 to come back from warranty repair/replacement and I am very pleasantly surprised!

May 12, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 18
I heard the se115 are a lesser version of the E2C (I was told by a sound tech).

Is this true? cuz right now i have the e2c, but its broke and no warrenty....so im looking for a slight upgrade with better bass

May 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't know how these compare to the E2Cs but do like them quite a bit as secondary headphones. I do prefer the sound of my primary phones (Klipsch Image X10) and especially the comfort. However, as a secondary pair, the Shure 115 build quality combined with strong bass response fits my needs very well. I do, however, with they made an olive tip size in-between the medium and large tips. My ears get sore with the large tips after a few hours and the mediums are too small. Ah well!
o2smile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 18
what about the other frequencies :p highs and mids.

May 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are a departure from Shure's house sound - more bass (and seems like more treble?) than my previous SE530. FWIW: I tend to like warmer/bassier sound signatures.

I bought these while waiting for my IE8 to come back from warranty repair/replacement and I am very pleasantly surprised!

I just got an SE530 yesterday. Are you saying the SE115 is better??

May 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 18
Remember - I'm using these as secondar phones (my Klipsch Image X10s are my primary phones). I like the mids and highs as well, but my Klipsch phones do sound a bit "clearer" than the Shures (not sure how else to explain it). The Shures do seem to have the forward sounding mid-range that their phones are famous for. I would like to eventually hear a pair of 530s since they are held in such high regard. However, I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing them, trying them out, and returning them later. My Klipsch are so comfortable and sound so good I see no reason to move to the 530s (especially since I find the Klipsch tips so comfortable!).

May 13, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an SE530 yesterday. Are you saying the SE115 is better??

Ummm, no. Obviously the SE115 do not compete with top tier IEMs.

What I was saying was that the SE115 have a different frequency response from the typical Shure sound. Compared to most Shures these have more bass, less midrange, possibly more extended treble (not positive about treble yet, need more time). FWIW, many would probably call the bass bloated and loose, but again, I tend to like bassier/warmer earphones and I'm OK with that for a $100 earphone. The SE115 are just good entry-level mass-consumer IEMs.

May 13, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm actually waiting on the E2c comparison before I consider buying these for various purposes (mainly as gifts), since I know what E2c's sound like (well, before I sold them). I actually preferred the E2c sound to the SE210, so if 115 did a few things to improve on that signature then that would be pretty good.

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 18
That's good to hear the new Shures have a different signature than the rest. Although they are keeping their bass, they are looking at the Tripple.fis for guidance with increased treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back