Picked up the Music Hall CD25.2 today...
Dec 22, 2005 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
I decided to pick up a new connector for my HP-2's, the cardas 1/4" stereo plug looked really cool. Found out the main parts dealer for Cardas was right in my area, Parts ConeXion, up in Oakville.

First problems. Broken door: opening the box, the transport door was not closed, it was slid out of the unit slightly. Now, when the door opens, it is very unstable, one can wiggle it from side to side, it has a lot of play. NOT PROFESSIONAL FEELING. When it closes, you can hear something rubbing on the door as its in its final 1/10th's of closing. Almost as if a part has broken off inside.

Wont turn off: yep, thats right. Theres a 'power' button on the remote, but it dosent work.... you have to turn the units main power switch off if you want to leave the CD player. Boy this one just about did it for me. It gets better tho:

Sound: Yes, well this is the Music Hall CD25.2- one of the highest rated CD players in its category surely its sound would be unrivaled. Wrong. On my GCHA and HP-2's im hearing what sounds like as follows:

Lows: No presence here. No deep bass what so ever. Very week and almost nonexistent. Sloppy, uncontrolled, weak. I dont know how else to describe it: BAD.

Midrange: This is the worst part.... One thing i love about my setup is its ability to sound true in the mids. The HP-2's do a wonderful portrayal of midrange, both lifelike and precise. But thru the Music Hall, everything sounds fake. The mids seem to have a peak, i cant tell where, but i have yet to hear this in any other peice of equipment. It just sounds unnatural. Like a hole in the lower mids. Very unpleasant and nowhere near natural sounding or preserving the recording.

Highs: nothing special. Actually i wish they were a bit more extended. They seem to lack that LAST sparkle. They are detailed yes, but detailed only to a certain point. Ive heard better on my Denon 2910.

Sound-stage: Ugh! overexagerated to the extreme. I can see how some players like to boost sound-stage just a tad, but this one is to the point of annoying the listener. Instruments have far to much air around them, again pushing the Music Hall even further into the realm of digital mistake and less natural recording.

Im just typing this quick review to give an example of how unhappy i am with the Music Hall. Its looks are GREAT. I mean its a very nice looking player. But the sound is awful. I prefer my cheap 100$ sony DVD player's analog outputs over the music hall, my denon 2910 is in a completely different league in terms of quality.

Overall; me= disappointed.

I know upgrades do exist for this unit. Many people recommend them. but at 600$ US, i just want a player that sounds decent. I dont want to add another 350$ worth of upgrades just to have it sound "comfortable".

If your looking for a good stock unit, the CD25.2 is not a winner. But if your looking to add upgrades and completely overhaul its inner workings, then maybe you should consider the CD25.2, because that is the only way i could possibly recommend it.

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm sorry to hear that the Music Hall didn't work for you. I actually just picked up a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable today with a Bellari VP129 phono stage. Absolutely loving it. I got it all put together around 5:00 pm and am still listening to it (1:30 am central). I'm sure it's not the greatest table ever, but I think I got a lot for my money.

Dec 22, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon

First problems. Broken door: opening the box, the transport door was not closed, it was slid out of the unit slightly. Now, when the door opens, it is very unstable, one can wiggle it from side to side, it has a lot of play. NOT PROFESSIONAL FEELING. When it closes, you can hear something rubbing on the door as its in its final 1/10th's of closing. Almost as if a part has broken off inside.

Er, why not just take it back. If there is a physical problem you should just be able to get a full refund.

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 13
First, I'm sorry you're not happy with the purchase but seriously, you've got a broken brand new player and you're not returning it? I wouldn't have even plugged it in, I would just take it back, explain that it was damaged upon opening the box and either ask for a refund or replacement. If you paid via credit card you've probably got 30 days regardless of what the man'f or dealer says to return it.

My 2c,

Nate

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you don't have any problems getting a full refund.

Just one comment. What does your first paragraph have to do with anything?

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 13
It was how i found parts conexion. I should of gone into more depth about that. I originally went to them for the Cardas 1/4" plug, but then found out they had a few Music Hall CD25.2's in stock, so i picked one up.

Customer service was absolutly horrible (home business), and im worried about getting a full refund, on the bill it says all sales are final.... Tho i will phone them ASAP.

Dec 22, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 13
Sorry about your bad luck, and the unit most definately needs to go back. However, (to beat the most recent dead-horse), a lot of what you describe is the normal detritus of an un-burnt-in CDP.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 13
I let it burn in for some time before i made any crucial judgments. I listened to it first out of the box, so i can get an idea of its changing throughout the process. No dice.

Very little has changed. I mean i do see improvment, but the cons of its sound still stick out like a sore thumb.

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 13
I am very surprised to learn of this. I have a 25.2, and it operates perfectly and has a pleasing sound. Perhaps you got a "lemon"?

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 13
I should also add that I think you should contact Roy Hall immediately. I have found Mr. Hall to be very courteous and helpful (though I have never had a problem with either my 25 or 25.2). I am sure he would be very interested to hear what you have to say, and to assist you.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
I actually just picked up a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable today with a Bellari VP129 phono stage. Absolutely loving it.

That's what I'm currently running, only with a Clearaudio Micro Basic stage. I love it also. Not that this has anything to do with what their CDPs do or don't sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back