Picked up some new vinyl in the village
Jan 18, 2002 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I decided to take a stroll into the village today look around and look what i came back with!

1. Depeche Mode: 86-98 singles boxset RARE! YAYAYAYAYAY...i almost jumped when i saw this, i'm sure the store owner noticed how happy i was. I've been looking for this sucker for over 2 years! Plus, the guy offered to order 180gm vinyl records for me, so i'm probably gonna go back to this shop sometime next week.

2. The Police: Ghost in the machine: Superdiscs version, looks unplayed, very nice. I can't wait to listen to this.

3. Metallica: Ride the lightning: DCC gold disc, ok so its not vinyl, for $20 i couldn't help it! The booklet is glossy...very nice.

4. Weezer and Garbage's new albums, nothing special, i was in a good mood and figured, what the hell.

All in All, a very good spending spree...

...I come home to find the 580's i bought from Pigmode sitting next to my bed...Whoooopeeee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Roadrunner?

Jan 18, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Roadrunner?

LOL...i took the F train to West fourth, if you need to know
tongue.gif

George

Jan 18, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 14
dude, nice. you scored. i'm now jealous.
mad.gif

the local store here charges up the yang for so-so copies.

Jan 18, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 14
YUP, especially with the Gold cd and the Depeche Mode, that cost me $55, but is OOP, and extemely hard to find. I had my chance to buy one used 2-3 yrs back for $35 and i passed it up, i regretted it ever since. This was probably one of the best shopping sprees i had in a long time.

George
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Ahh, there's nothing like a good shopping spree. How did that Police album wind up sounding?

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Ahh, there's nothing like a good shopping spree. How did that Police album wind up sounding?

Fantastic! Plus, it looked quite used and there wasn't a click or pop to be found unlike all the new vinyl i picked up. Very impressed!

George

Jan 21, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Yeah gloco,
I'm glad you scored some vinyl.I have noticed that some of the new standard issue(non 180g)stuff not only has pops and clicks but sounds on so so as well.I bought a reissue of the Bobby Womack "Across 110th street"soundtrack to keep from overplaying one of my original isssues.The new one sounded much worse than either of the clean originals.I clean the new one a few times to no avail.I ended up buying a second pressing used copy(pressed in 1984)and it sounds as good as the originals and is not as valuable.

Jan 21, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks Tuberoller!

I also own some 180gm vinyl that seems to pop and click due to static from the sleeve they were put in! How do you get rid of something like this? Also, will the static ruin the needle?

I'm glad to hear you were able to find another LP to preserve the original. I also own 2 copies of Iron Maiden: Live after Death. Thank god their both in good condition. Hopefully one day i'll copy these to CDR to preserve them for good!

George

Jan 22, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

YUP, especially with the Gold cd and the Depeche Mode, that cost me $55, but is OOP, and extemely hard to find.

That's the main problem with the Internet...people know how much stuff is worth now, and charge accordingly.
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah Cajun,
I went to purchase some records from a private party one time and he pulled out a Goldmine value guide and fired up his computer to see what some of the titles were going for on ebay.All this from an 80 year-old.Everybody knows(or thinks)that they have valuable goods.Bargains are getting hard to find.I get opportunities to go into people's homes a lot and I have scored some great stuff by just asking if they wanted to sell.I have to be considerate of the situation,but I always make an attempt to ask.I have found thousands of records this way and all kinds of outstanding gear.I have been able to trade or sell enough records to profit enough to the point that my record buying habits are self-supporting.I have found garage sales are useless,here in Chicago where sales require a permit, everything is overpriced and poeple check values using the net before they put stuff out.I saw an excellent Dynaco Pas3x preamp a few weeks ago right by my house at a garage sale,the older lady selling said she checked on the internet and found out it was worth "up to $400.00".I don't know where she got this info, but I passed.

Jan 23, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
I'd say use one of those Audioquest carbon fiber anti-static brushes. there are also anti-static guns you can buy. check out www.amusicdirect.com or www.needledoctor.com they should sell that stuff.

oh yeah, what's the playlist on that Iron Maiden set, is it the same as on the 2CD set?

Thanks for the tip, i have the brush...just need to find it
biggrin.gif

As for the Iron Maiden LP, no the cd is not the full concert!

The LP has 18 tracks total and runs 100 mins, as did the cassette, which my brother had. This is why record companies piss me off, they hacked up the concert and put what in its place? Some crappy tracks i could care less for
mad.gif

Do yourself a favor and hunt down the LP version if you can play records, try ebay too. That's where i found my first copy!

Best of luck!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back