Jan 18, 2006 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Got around to finally buying a game.

Midway arcade classics.

MK
MKII
MK3

all in the palm of my hands. Too bad the PSP control layout is so poor for fighting games.

It was neat playing them

MK I seems to be identical to the arcade counterpart.
MKII they sped up the game play, but the frame rate seems to be lower and the sprites are color palette are not arcade perfect.
MK3 the characters seem to be shrunk down a bit and animation seems to be cut out.

not really arcade perfect, I wouldnt doubt if they were PS2 emulations.

Rampage and paperboy is fun too along with marble madness. But Ive been spoiled by new gen games that these are far too simplistic and repetitive to hold my attention longer then 5 minutes.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 18
My buddy who has a PSP that never gets used recently picked up Popolocrois and Kingdom of Paradise, both RPGs. He said they are very good, so they might be worth checking out if you are an RPG/strategy fan whose PSP is collecting dust.

My DS isn't going to collect dust anytime soon
tongue.gif
, with my 4 game all star line up of Castlevania DoS, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing WW, and Tony Hawks American Sk8land
biggrin.gif
. Sorry, DS is off this topic, just wanted to let DS owners know these games are sick.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 18
I picked up Midway Arcade Treasures last night but I only had a chance to play it for a few minutes. Sprint seems practically unplayable to me. The good news is thereare a lot of games included. Defender seems like it will be easy to play on the PSP. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Spy Hunter is one of the games included. I haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know how it works after I do.

MJ

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
I picked up Midway Arcade Treasures last night but I only had a chance to play it for a few minutes. Sprint seems practically unplayable to me. The good news is thereare a lot of games included. Defender seems like it will be easy to play on the PSP. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Spy Hunter is one of the games included. I haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know how it works after I do.

MJ

I'll keep an eye out.
thanks

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 18
the mk games are glitchy and chopped up a bit.
looks like midway half-assed the ports to get it out for Christmas.

all the mk games have a ridiculous load time for every screen change and in mk II the first round with kintaro always freezes for a second or two a couple seconds after the start of the match.

a load of animation and sound bites are absent from the MK games and the sprites seem to have taken a hit.

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 18
I dropped a PSP and the sound doesn't work, yet you can hear it when you plug in headphones, but only on the left side... I have a feeling it's going to be replace or repair-time soon! In fact...one of the ONLY (I'm talking really REALLY minimal amount of games--at least at this moment) PSP games that interests me right now, is 'Extreme Ghouls 'n' Ghosts' (not sure if that will be the final title though). Other than that--although I haven't done much research on any other games I might like--I would like to get the 'Capcom Classics Remixed' (it includes that 1941 game. It will come out at the end of March; but you can pre-order it from Amazon.). Another interesting thing would be 'Suikoden I & II'...hhmmm, I haven't played these, but they're popular (in my experience--most of the best RPGs are popular). The 'Valkyrie Profile Lenneth' looks interesting--although the original had a bit too much action than what I'm used to, but the game is as "actiony" as RPGs can get...arcade-like. I've researched on IGN; it probably has the most extensive list of PSP games, at least in my opinion. Another side-note: The most interesting portable games to me, are company-related to games from other consoles...as in from qualities (sequels/company-gameplay tradition). Other than that, I mainly use portables to play ported games from other consoles. Funny... I also have some advice...don't spend too much of your money on accessories (I spent like $80 on a PSP memory stick (512MB)....definately one of the worst buys you can get, although the reason why I bought it can explain my unsatisfaction (for emulation)... But anyways, don't waste your money on stuff like that, unless you need the space or you're having problems with the standard one. I mean, it's NICE and all...but it really wasn't neccessary in the long run (for its price; didn't really make the emulation speed-up), and I really only need a small amount of space for save-files, considering I only really played 'Ape Escape'). Oh yes, and don't drop your portable on hard-floors...

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 18
hmm i alway wonder if i made a mistake and not bought my friends used psp... it would be fun to have but that would be another item id need to use to justify my paying for it.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quado
I dropped a PSP and the sound doesn't work...
(I spent like $80 on a PSP memory stick (512MB)....definately one of the worst buys you can get...
Oh yes, and don't drop your portable on hard-floors...

I'm sorry to hear about the droppage; I hope you get it repaired at a reasonable cost. Check out the Logiech Playgear Pocket to protect against the droppies and crushies. The SanDisk 1GB Gaming Memory Card is $78.99.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, I really would've liked to get the memory stick off the internet, because of the lower prices...but I'm still just a kid, so I had to get it at Toys 'R Us instead (they had the 1GB for over $100!). There's one that goes to 2GB, by Sony. I thought there's one by Sony, that goes up to 4GB, but now, it's not on Amazon anymore (It was the duo--I think--judging by the picture-size)... There will supposedly be 4GB & 8GB later this year (expensive, I imagine they'll cost about $200-$400). If they made high-speed versions of the 4GB & 8GB, it'd probably cost as much as big-screen TV!! Geeky-Note: I really would love to listen to the first level of 'Extreme Ghouls 'n Ghosts' on headphones, to hear the differences from the arcade and SNES versions--the best ones...if you want to get into the series, you don't HAVE to bother with the others, unless you want to see lower quality graphics and sound on 'Ghosts 'n Goblins' & 'Ghouls 'n Ghosts' although I'm sure the other versions would be nice to play. So far I believe the real series is those two + the SNES version is almost completely different (Edit: I mean the real series includes the SNES one, definately...that probably was confusing to you...the SNES one is different compared to the other 'Ghouls 'n Ghosts') .

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My brother got me Tokobot for Xmas. It's a pretty neat platformer.

-Ed

i gave that to one of my friends for xmas but he hasn't tried it yet. i'm really tempted to get one for myself too. how is it so far?

my most favorite game on the psp thus far is metal gear acid. i always end up spending too much time on that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back