Pick me a power conditioner
Feb 2, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #46 of 98
daglesj;5378019 said:
We used to use these to run $80000 Video conference systems. Never let us down.

Octopart | Roxburgh PMF6 - | (Datasheet)
daglesj;5378019 said:
I can't vouch for the sound quality, but these are rated at only 6 amps. Probably ok for some small gear, but not for running a full set-up. Keep your full power draw in mind when selecting a power conditioner.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #47 of 98
I've got the duet and the ps audio UPC-200, neither hurt sound quality in my setups, in fact they sound better. My apartment has pretty crappy power and aluminum wire though. my duet made an immediate and obvious positive change.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #48 of 98
REVPOWER;5380551 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We used to use these to run $80000 Video conference systems. Never let us down.

Octopart | Roxburgh PMF6 - | (Datasheet)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't vouch for the sound quality, but these are rated at only 6 amps. Probably ok for some small gear, but not for running a full set-up. Keep your full power draw in mind when selecting a power conditioner.

Yeah I asked a few folks in the know about them and they all said fine for pretty much anything except power amps.

I've plugged many different combos into them with no problems.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #49 of 98
I want to try the juice bar, but the thing isn't surge protected. And that just kinda worries me, whether it give better sound quality or not.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #50 of 98
The Juice Power isn't a power conditioner. Its sole purpose is to offer more outlets. In other words, it won't sound better. And it will probably sound worse if you don't use a good power cable to connect the Juice Bar to the wall. If you do use the Juice Bar and a good power cable, and find the sound to be better, then it's sound of the power cable you like.

Here's another thought: change your wall outlet to a high quality one for optimum connection. It's a cheap and effective tweak. It worked well for me, but the old wall outlets in my apartment looked like they were 100 years old.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #51 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Juice Power isn't a power conditioner. Its sole purpose is to offer more outlets. In other words, it won't sound better. And it will probably sound worse if you don't use a good power cable to connect the Juice Bar to the wall. If you do use the Juice Bar and a good power cable, and find the sound to be better, then it's sound of the power cable you like.

Here's another thought: change your wall outlet to a high quality one for optimum connection. It's a cheap and effective tweak. It worked well for me, but the old wall outlets in my apartment looked like they were 100 years old.

I know the juicebar won't improve the sound. I've just read so many negative things about passive filtering conditioners that I think I want to steer clear of them. It seems that the only conditioners that really improve the sound without hurting other areas are the ones that regenerate the power (like the PS audio power plant series). I might look into changing the outlets, thats a good idea. Of course I can't do it in my dorm room right now
tongue_smile.gif
. I can only imagine the next occupant being puzzled staring at a nice fancy furutech receptacle.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #52 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just read so many negative things about passive filtering conditioners that I think I want to steer clear of them. It seems that the only conditioners that really improve the sound without hurting other areas are the ones that regenerate the power (like the PS audio power plant series). I might look into changing the outlets, thats a good idea. Of course I can't do it in my dorm room right now
tongue_smile.gif
. I can only imagine the next occupant being puzzled staring at a nice fancy furutech receptacle.

Dont you mean ACTIVE conditioners?
Passive conditioners are far less detrimental to the sound.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #53 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont you mean ACTIVE conditioners?
Passive conditioners are far less detrimental to the sound.

The thing about them is that they have line filters inside. These filters often have parts called "chokes" inside which end up limiting current to the attached devices in the long run. A lot of reviews of passive-filtered devices that I've read report a blacker background with bigger soundstage, yet less punchiness and dynamic contrasts.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #54 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing about them is that they have line filters inside. These filters often have parts called "chokes" inside which end up limiting current to the attached devices in the long run. A lot of reviews of passive-filtered devices that I've read report a blacker background with bigger soundstage, yet less punchiness and dynamic contrasts.

Thats just standard hifi speak. Nothing to worry about. I've used several passive filters and not noticed any lack of dynamics.

If the gear doeant get enough power it wont work. The gear itself has capacitors etc. inside that can either add filtering or store power for when its needed. If it was that bad they wouldnt be there.

I dont find they make much audible difference (I live in a house that gets a good stable supply) but as long as I think the gear is getting smoother cleaner power then I'm happy.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #55 of 98
Another vote for the PS Audio Duet and Quintet.

I have both (Duet for audio components, Quintet for computer-related stuff).

I've used quite a few power conditioners in my day: PS Audio P300, P500, Power Plant Premier, Juice Bar, UPC 200, Ultimate Outlet, Balanced Power Technologies power bar, some Monster stuff, etc. The PS Audio Duet is definitely the most bang for the buck. The Power Plant Premier is an amazing device, but I decided the power where I live just doesn't benefit enough from it so I ended up selling it on Audiogon.

I remember reading an article somewhere (possibly here at Head-Fi) wherein someone took apart a Shunyata Hydra and found an amazing lack of sophistication and quality parts. I've been avoiding the Shunyata brand ever since (it doesn't help matters that they seem to be ridiculously overpriced).

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #56 of 98
APC H10/15 is on sale in Audioholics and can be had for 129$ and 149$ with free shipping. I cant think of a better deal honestly, maybe the Duet at 199, but I needed more outlets so I went with the H10.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #57 of 98
I dunno guys. I've been tossing around this conditioner idea around for a while now and just think my money could be better spent other places in my setup. My amp uses the sigma22 psu which already supplies really really clean DC power to the beta22 boards. So I'm gonna stick with my old APC surge protected power strip for now. The money might go to DIYing a new cable for my headphones or upgrading power cables or XLR interconnects.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #58 of 98
DON"T!

better spend the money to mod the really important parts in your amp, like really clean power and high quality components! Especially clean ac/dc in your amp is crucial! More effect then a patch before the amp (conditioner)!

I tried this out myself and can clearly say that the money is better spend to improve the amplifier, especially the powersections of the amplifier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back