Pick me a power conditioner
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #31 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a search and could not find it. Where did you order it from.

One of those said he got it from ebay, I checked and ebay has some Perma Power stuff.

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #33 of 98
What does everyone think of this entry level Furman? It's cheap and it looks like it would do the job. I need a power strip anyways and it seems like it would do much more:
FurmanSound.com - Pro A/V Product - M-8x

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #34 of 98
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #35 of 98
I just got my first power conditioner (Furman Ac-215) three days ago, and gosh, my electrical outlet sure needs it. I swear, plugging my Eizo monitor directly into a normal surge protector outlet made windows' black screensaver appear uniformly GREY. Out of the power conditioner the black screensaver appears pitch black, identical to when I turn off the power on the monitor. Graphics are cleaner, colors amazingly vibrant, and less fatiguing. It changed audio the same exact way, no more grey background and fuller sound.

Too bad not too many people have the ac-215 or have reviewed them, so I don't really know if it is good "bang for your buck". I did get this cool e-mail about an hour ago when I wanted to register my 3 year warranty without being the original buyer or having a receipt though ^^. Super-fast response, whatever that's worth.

Quote:

This is not an authorized dealer. Technically your warranty is void. Since you chose Furman I will honor your warranty but please in the future confirm that you are purchasing from an authorized dealer. This seller will give you no support if you were to have problems. Fortunately our failure rates are around .0005% so you should not have any issues.

edit: It's nighttime and actually the screen isn't actually pitch black
tongue.gif
. I just tried turning it on and off while the room was bright and couldn't tell a difference in the blackness, but it is at nighttime that I notice the light glow in the monitor which made me realize it didn't do a perfect black. still grey even with power conditioner. sorry about that.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #36 of 98
I must preface this with the fact that Revolution Power is a Furman dealer - that said, I give the opinion that the Furman M-8x is a good entry level piece with Furman "standard level" power conditioning. It is a rack-mount unit. The basics are there, but I would reccommend that if you can stretch the budget, go for the PL-8C or another of the PL series or, if you like a bar style that can fit behind a cabinet, try the PST-8 or the PST-8D.

The PL and PST-8 and above have far more advanced power conditioning in them. the power conditioning components are non-sacrificial like MOV's, and you have better line filtering, better surge protection, and high-voltage shutdown. The PL and the PST-8D (and 10-D) have isolated banks for analog and digital. blacker backgrounds, help eliminate ground loops and buzzing etc.. Just a better bang for the buck I think.

The AC-215 mentioned elsewhere recently is also a good choice.

Furman conditioners are constructed with sound quality in mind.

There are many good manufacturers of PC equipment, but for someone on a budget, I think these are very difficult to beat.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 98
I like the Duet as well, but why not just go for the Quintet and plug everything in? If you just plug the DAC1 and the b22 in but connect the DAC1 to something else (e.g. sound card) and that something else isn't protected, the protection the Duet can provide will be limited, if not rendered meaningless, unless that something is connected to your DAC1 via toslink.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #38 of 98
Well, the Duet has 4 outlets. I only have my DAC1, beta22, computer/cd player. I think I could just use that. I still haven't decided which one I want yet. The Furman PST-8D looks pretty sweet.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #39 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Duet has 4 outlets. I only have my DAC1, beta22, computer/cd player. I think I could just use that. I still haven't decided which one I want yet. The Furman PST-8D looks pretty sweet.

You can go to PS Audio's website and read about Duet and Quintet's "Isozones" (Quintet has 5; Duet has 2) and decide how much isolation you want. I wouldn't trust anything w/o detachable power cord. Also the Duet/Quintet have solid brass bars inside them, as oppose to wires. Now that's pretty sweet to me.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 98
We used to use these to run $80000 Video conference systems. Never let us down.

Octopart | Roxburgh PMF6 - | (Datasheet)

When we retired the kit I took them home and now use them on my PC and hifi etc. They work a treat. So much so a Hifi firm use to rebadge them and sell them for $400...naughty!

On a couple I cut off the power plug and wired on a 4-way or two way plug socket. Cheap enough to experiment with and tough as nails.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 98
Yes, the PST-8D is a well-built unit.

I think the originator of this thread mentioned wanting passive unit of some sort. I think the Furutech eTP60 or eTP80 are also very good. They are introducing additional models for 2009.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #42 of 98
I think the Furutech is a bit out of my price range. I'm not sure when I'll have the money to make this purchase, but I think $200 is the absolute max. I'm leaning toward either the PS Audio Duet or the Furman PST-10D but I'm not really sure which one would be better.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #43 of 98
I've done a lot of reading the last few hours. I don't want to get a unit which will hurt the quality of my sound at all. I think I might just want a quality power strip that has surge suppression that I can plug my stuff into. Does anyone know of a product like this? The PS audio Juice bar almost fits the bill, but I don't think it has surge suppression.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #44 of 98
UM, Furman PST 8D for the money? Cheaper than the Duet or the Juicebar and does a better job IMO.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #45 of 98
Just a note that we have noticed the Furman PST-10 is missing from the new Furman catalog and pricing sheets. The PST-8D is still there and well respected so it sells quite well. I'm speculating here, but I think the 10D may be too expensive to make to stay in the pricing tier. People that need more outlets seem to go with a rack or shelf unit. There are still quite a few in the sales channel to dealers, and I suspect you would be able to get a deal on one and stay within your budget and the warranty will stay in place.

We are not a dealer for PS Audio, but can say that I have used some of their gear in the past and it appears to be well-built in general. Nothing negative to report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back