pick headphones for this office (pic)
Jan 4, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

timo_nyc

Head-Fier
OK. Newbie. Stuck with some Bose QC2's currently; found you guys by mistake and now I'm sorry about my wallet.

the environment:
office.JPG

the music: 40/40/10/10 rock/pop/classical/other

the source: iTunes files -->toslink out -->Bel Canto DAC-2 (should be here Friday)

the amp: To be determined, but one of Jan's offerings (HA-2 or Prehead)

the headphones: two routes here. I'm looking for cans and not earbuds.

1. I could go the Senn route, but I'm concerned that the openness of the phones might disturb other cubes around me when it gets quiet around here (think check out counter at a library quiet, not absolute quiet). Then again, that might encourage me keep the volume down and save my hearing.
2. I could go the closed headphone route and rock out, but not hear the phone ring (but is that so bad?)
• AKG K271 Studio -- looks good. Concerned about comfort
• Audio-Technica ATH-A900 -- Looks good, but I'd also like to order through Jan or TTVJ
• beyerdynamic DT770 Pro -- could I be a basshead? I'm not sure I'd mind.
• Senn HD 25-1 -- don't know much about these
• Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster -- don't know much about these

the priorities
1. "comfortable" sound -- I'm not a purist, and I want to avoid something that makes less-than-stellar AAC encodings sound screetchy or metalic (I'm sure I'll re-rip soon, but for now I don't want to re-rip everything)
2. comfortable on the head -- I'm sometimes wearing my headphones for hours on end
3. easy on-off for those pesky phone calls
4. not disturbing to others at a relatively low volume, but also
5. not totally isolating
6. non-entangling headphone lead, preferably from one side

the budget: busted. But let's keep the headphone recommendations sub $400.

TIA.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 28
I vote for the DT770-80. I wasnt a basshead either. I guess that makes me one now doesn't it? IMHO its not as bassy as folks say. It depends on the source. If youre listening to bass heavy recording then yes it is very bassy. But if youre listening to something more bass shy it will do that as well.

Not an accurate can at all (in terms of frequency response)... But IMHO a very Fun & enjoyable sound signature.

Its well under your price limit, and guitar center is good about their return policy if you dont like it.

**edit**
Comfort was an issue at first... the velour pads were a little firm and very flat. After a few hours they have softened up a little and are more contoured to my Jaw shape. VERY comfortable IMHO.

Garrett

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 28
I'm guessing you might like the A900's.

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 28
You needn't worry about comfort with the K271 unless your ears stick out pretty far. It's lightweight and quite comfortable, but the pads are not all that deep.

If you really want to rock out, though, it might not be the right choice - it's not really a headphone to groove to. But I often use mine at work and enjoy it very much despite the lack of grooviness. (Oh, and no worries about it being screechy or metallic; it just isn't.)

It gives you some isolation but it will not keep you from hearing the phone ring unless you are drowning it out with music. Though you are not totally isolated, the K271 will not leak at reasonable non-blasting listening volumes.

Easy on and off. There are no earcup position adjustments, so nothing will get unadjusted when you take them off or need fiddling when you put them on. BTW there is a small switch in the headband that silences them when you take them off.

Single-sided cord that is not especially tangle-prone, but is a bit on the long and floppy side. Aftermarket cables are available.

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 28
You have to go closed - trust me, i've tried open in a shared office, it doesn't work.

I've owned most of those closed cans, and i've sold all but the A900s. I find the 770-80s to have *way* too much bass, and they lack clarity compared with the A900s. The 271s aren't as comfortable, but they're more compact.

Given the quality of your gear, you might like to go further up the Audio-Technica line. See my website for reviews on a few of them (link below).

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You have to go closed - trust me, i've tried open in a shared office, it doesn't work.

I've owned most of those closed cans, and i've sold all but the A900s. I find the 770-80s to have *way* too much bass, and they lack clarity compared with the A900s. The 271s aren't as comfortable, but they're more compact.

Given the quality of your gear, you might like to go further up the Audio-Technica line. See my website for reviews on a few of them (link below).

Curious... would you say the A900's clarity is FAR superior to the DT770... Night and day superior? Is the DT770 even in the same league... clarity wise?

The A900 is about ~$50 more than the DT770. Is the clarity worth the extra $50?

Just curious... Part of the difficulty Im having is quantifying something thats all so subjective. Add to that the unfortunate fact that Ive never heard really high end cans, A900, CD3000, SR225...etc They ALL sound great to untrained ears

thanks!!
Garrett
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 28
I would also recommend the AKG 271. They isolate quite well (leak less than let in sound), and are well balanced to my ears. I think an amp really helps these headphones sing.

But I would suggest you read commando and philodox reviews first.....two very different perspectives.

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 28
shouldnt you be more focused on your "work" instead of your "music"?
tongue.gif

i'll go with the A900 recommendation. save up the rest of your money because sooner or later, you're gonna want to upgrade again.

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 28
If going DT770, you'd probably want the "premium" (non-pro) version, as the headband is less tight and the earcups extend a bit further. In terms of comfort, my DT990 are almost identical to the also very comfy DT880s. Can't beat that velour! Good sound, too!
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious... would you say the A900's clarity is FAR superior to the DT770... Night and day superior? Is the DT770 even in the same league... clarity wise?

The A900 is about ~$50 more than the DT770. Is the clarity worth the extra $50?

Just curious... Part of the difficulty Im having is quantifying something thats all so subjective. Add to that the unfortunate fact that Ive never heard really high end cans, A900, CD3000, SR225...etc They ALL sound great to untrained ears

thanks!!
Garrett
confused.gif

The A900s are significantly clearer and more ballanced, but it's not night and day. For someone who really loves excessive bass the 770-80s will give them better clarity than any of the other options (eg Sony v700). The A900s are defintely worth the extra $50 to me.

Jan 5, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
This is going to sound really weird, but could we have a front-on shot of your ears please? I just want to know how much they stick out.

Thats strangely arousing...............J/K you sick bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back