HOTAUDIO SUPREME PCM2702 BUFFERED USB DAC $150

DAC DESTROYER $100 PCM2705

HOTUSB1 $69.00

Other's I'm looking at:

Sumiko Pro-ject USB Box PCM2702 $160

UHA-3 USB DAC PCM2706 $189

SilverStone Ensemble EB01 $90

SuperPro 707 USB DAC $110

Still too big of a list, but 1 of the first 4 is probably what I'll go with, and I like the Blue Circle Thingee.

I've cut out other DAC's going up to $200 already, including NOS DAC's as I don't want those. So without offering other options (unless you feel that I'm missing out on a great one, although I've probably looked at it already), which would you pick for someone who likes bright, detailed, tight, fast, crisp, clear sound with good open soundstage, seperation, extension, dynamics, and imaging? I'll be using this with an integrated amp (Cambridge 540a most likely) for speakers and phones (Senn HD 595's) in a small office/study room.

And are there differences in the DAC chips that are significant or is the overall implementation or maybe the Opamp the most important? In other words, would a 2702, 2705, 2704, or 2706 be the best for the kind of sound I'm after?

Thanks for any feedback!
L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 11
What about the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0? You can snag it for $170 easily and it's really quite nice. I know I'm enjoying mine. (Supports up to 24-bit/192 KHz signal through USB)

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 11
I've seen that one recommened on here and I'm sure it is good/great, but:

It's ugly. I know it's stupid but...

I don't like how it is "all in one" thing, why would I need a midi/preamp/professional sound mixer thing? I just want the DAC. Where did the money go? To the DAC or everything else?

I have Vista and I guess it would work with it but it says XP.

I don't care about the 24/192 thing. If a cd/Flac file plays at 44/16, then how is upconverting going to change that? I have a cdp that upconverts and when I switch between that and regular mode I can't tell any difference. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for the post though, and I see you have a Sansa Fuze 8 gig in sliver. I just got mine yesterday. Sounds pretty good, although I'm going to get some IEM to replace my Senn PX-100's.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 11
You need to try out the Scott Nixon USB DAC.

I believe one is still on sale on head-fi..check it out..

Edit: ITs a NOS DAC. and the OP you say you don't want a NOS DAC...well then i guess you might as well pick one and see how it is. The Trends is supposed to be good..

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0? You can snag it for $170 easily and it's really quite nice. I know I'm enjoying mine.

Agreed. I enjoy mine also. Picked it up for $100.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to try out the Scott Nixon USB DAC.

I believe one is still on sale on head-fi..check it out..

Edit: ITs a NOS DAC. and the OP you say you don't want a NOS DAC...well then i guess you might as well pick one and see how it is. The Trends is supposed to be good..

Yea thanks anyway. If I want a softer, warmer, more tube like sound I listen to my vintage Sherwood 7100A receiver. But that sound is only for specific moods or music. Overall I like a brighter presentation.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 11
A little late coming to this thread, but I just thought I would point out that the Trends UD10.1 is not really a DAC. The official description of the device labels it as a USB Audio Converter. Yes, it does have an analog (headphone) out, but that circuit is, from what I've read here, sub-par and really only for testing purposes, i.e., not the primary purpose of the device.

Its primary purpose is to convert digital USB audio from a PC into a 16 bit 44.1kHz digital stereo signal in a variety of connection formats (coax, AES/EBU, optical). I personally think it does a good job of lowering the noise floor of the signal. It also supposedly reduces jitter due to its re-clock circuit.

I know all of this because I bought one to pair with my TA 10.1 for speaker use, but found out I had to use the headphone out to get an analog signal. There is a high-profile review at a site called TNT Audio which is a bit misleading in that he used the headphone out into a TA 10.1 to power his speakers. Nowhere in the brief article did the reviewer mention that you should still place a real DAC in that chain.

I'm still on the fence about keeping mine, but I do think it makes a decent "digital transport" and is a good choice if you're looking for a cheap re-clocking device.

-Neil

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the info. Neil, and everyone else, I forgot to mention that I bought the Thingee and it came today. So far it's pretty nice, listened to it for a few hours now. I'll review it in another thread later.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I just couldn't get around to tell my wife that I'm listening to my Thingee. Who thinks up these names?

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Hehe it's a great name. My gf and I joke about it lol. And it sounds pretty good too, I've got about 10 hours on it and the more I listen the more I like. I'm hearing little nuances in music I haven't heard before. But the sound is a little thin or recessed, like in the upper mid range. Hopefully with more burn in it will be brought forward more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back