Pick a contender to dethrone the O2 as a one and only can....
Jul 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
The amp and source are locked, Meier Concerto and Stello DA220 respectively.  So pick your number one contender to best the O2 as a one and only can.  Some limitations... must be open, no out of production models, no recables, and if you vote other, let me know which can I should also consider.

Sigh I give up.  Poll choices are Senn 800, Beyer T1, Audez'e LCD-2 and Other(Specify).

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 11
One thread enough maybe?
wink_face.gif

Pick a contender to dethrone the O2 as a one and only can...

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Tried to get the poll to show again but no luck.  This is the active thread though, since the poll choices are listed.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Since you're excluding out of production cans, I don't think you can beat the O2 with a dynamic. The ED8, HD800, T1 and W5000 are all flawed in one area or another, especially if recables (and I'm assuming mods as well) are out. I suppose one of the Orthos like the HE-5LE or LCD-2 would come closest, but I have no interest in trading my O2 for either.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm interested in one point of your setup.  What made you choose such an expensive DAC compared to the amp?  I'm going with the Concerto aswell, but am looking at more value-level DACs, such as the Centrance DacMini, or the AMB Gamma2.  Another point to make would be, if you're going for that pricepoint, why not try to find a Buffalo24/32 already assembled, such as the one in our FS forums?

As for phones, I've decided on the LCD-2 myself.  The technology is wonderful, it's well reviewed by respectable members, and the price is right (a good 300-400 less than the T1/HD800).

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 11
I've had the Stello DA220 since 05? I think.  Its not going anywhere, I have absolutely no complaints about its performance.  When I originally heard the O2 and KGSS on a Denon DVD-5900(whichever one was fotm in that period and mod company guinea pig) I had reservations.  It was pretty bright and flat out terrible blackground.  But I heard something that made me spring for an O2 and KGSS of my own.  On the Stello its a whole other animal which is in part why when people say the Senn 800 is bright but have the Sony ES or Denon DVD listed as sources its hard to take seriously.

Is the Concerto too modest?  Maybe but Meier doesn't make a "better" amp and I've been down the HeadAmp road often so I wanted to try something else.  Tubes aren't kid or wife friendly, the Burson reviews kind of paint a picture of something coloured and the 6Moons review as well as the ones here sold me on the Meier.

For what its worth in my experience the amp makes the least difference in the system within reason.  No matter what amp or can you have, an iPod is going to be an iPod.  Get it started right and go from there.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I've had the Stello DA220 since 05? I think.  Its not going anywhere, I have absolutely no complaints about its performance.  When I originally heard the O2 and KGSS on a Denon DVD-5900(whichever one was fotm in that period and mod company guinea pig) I had reservations.  It was pretty bright and flat out terrible blackground.  But I heard something that made me spring for an O2 and KGSS of my own.  On the Stello its a whole other animal which is in part why when people say the Senn 800 is bright but have the Sony ES or Denon DVD listed as sources its hard to take seriously.

Is the Concerto too modest?  Maybe but Meier doesn't make a "better" amp and I've been down the HeadAmp road often so I wanted to try something else.  Tubes aren't kid or wife friendly, the Burson reviews kind of paint a picture of something coloured and the 6Moons review as well as the ones here sold me on the Meier.

For what its worth in my experience the amp makes the least difference in the system within reason.  No matter what amp or can you have, an iPod is going to be an iPod.  Get it started right and go from there.

That's fair then; my position is really only valid if you're buying everything new, like me.

My experience has been the opposite, in the way that amps make more of a difference.  But your basis is correct, garbage in, garbage out.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 11
How many amps have you experiemented with? I've found a bit of variation with them, but my experience is much more on the tube side.

Speaking of which, my favorite in-production headphone is the HD-800. However, I've had mixed feelings about the HD-800 on solid state. Anecdotally, it seems like the more enthusiastic owners are driving them with tubes.

I don't know if you'd be willing to commission an amp, but you could have one built with tubes on the inside or with a cage covering them. Heck, most of the production tube headphone amps are more or less limited production customs from small businesses. I can't speak for any of the manufacturers, but they're friendly and customer-oriented. You could ask if they'd make yours with a cage. That would do a good job of keeping little fingers away.

And speaking of custom amps, have you considered the Beta22? Excellent amp. If you're concerned about repair work on a custom, there's no need to worry. The Beta22 is an open design and very well documented. Any reasonablly skilled tech would be able to use what's out there to troubleshoot and repair it. The same goes for any DIY design out there.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 11
I've only had a hand full of tube and tube hybrid amps, not liked any of them at their price point.  Just not a fan of that tube magic long term.  Also not a huge fan of DIY, outside of Kevin's work as sold by Justin.  Had a DIY Meta42 Maxxed, no good, had a DIY Dynahi... couldn't hang with my Dynalo etc.  The Beta22 just sounds on paper like some headphone equivalent to a 1kW mono block thats all grunt and no finesse.  Or put another way... my HeadAmp Reference was set to unity gain, my Concerto is running on -6dB gain and my KGSS uses -14dB attenuators up front and still none of them saw usage above 10 o'clock =)

Even tubes in sources like my Tri-Vista 21 compared poorly to my Stello DA220.  The only exception being an Anthem hybrid integrated when I was running speaker rigs.  Now off to bed, because I think this post is coming off a little cranky :wink:

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Personally, the only other thing I could reasonably recommend as a runner-up to the OII MKI would be the JH Audio JH13, if you don't mind IEMs. I find the two to be relatively close to each other, sonically.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry original poll had it but I forgot this time... has to be open or will draw massive wife agro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back